Yuki skips Wimbledon to play in FuturesJune 6th, 2009 - 8:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 6 (IANS) Australian Open champion Yuki Bhambri has decided to skip the All-England tennis championships at Wimbledon in a bid to improve his senior Tour ranking.
Yuki, who missed the junior French Open because of a sprained ankle, feels that there is little he gets to benefit playing in juniors when he should be making his mark in the seniors. So, instead of going to Wimbledon he has decided to play in two back-to-back Futures tournaments at home.
“It was a conscious decision not to play at Wimbledon. There is no point going there with none of the top seeds playing. Instead, he will be better off playing in men’s tournaments. He will benefit more by playing in the men’s circuit,” said Indu Bhambri, Yuki’s mother.
Yuki last month won his maiden ITF title and went on to add one more in the following week.
The two ITF titles catapulted Yuki to 661st position, jumping 897 places.
- Yuki skips junior Wimbledon (Lead) - Jun 06, 2009
- Yuki jumps 111 places in ATP rankings - Jul 13, 2009
- Yuki Bhambri pulls out of junior French Open - May 26, 2009
- Top seed Yuki eyeing his second junior Grand Slam - Sep 06, 2009
- Yuki wins $15,000 ITF title in Nigeria - Oct 23, 2011
- Yuki raring to go at Delhi ITF - Jun 28, 2009
- Tennis nationals: Vishnu, Prerna lead men's and women's field - Oct 09, 2011
- Yuki back in ITF fold in tune-up to junior US Open - Aug 23, 2009
- Yuki, Vardhan ready for Olympics (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Four Indians for Junior Australian Open - Jan 20, 2012
- Yuki Bhambri and Rutuja Bhosale are new national tennis champions - Oct 15, 2011
- Tennis nationals: Rutuja stuns top seed Prerna - Oct 11, 2011
- Yuki hopes to make Davis Cup squad, but has no visa - Aug 29, 2009
- Yuki in boys' singles quarterfinals of US Open - Sep 11, 2009
- It's for AITA to decide Olympics line-up: Bhupathi - Feb 09, 2012