Yuki skips junior Wimbledon (Lead)June 6th, 2009 - 11:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 6 (IANS) Junior Australian Open champion Yuki Bhambri has decided to skip Wimbledon to concentrate on the men’s circuit in a bid to improve his ITF Tour rankings.
Yuki, who missed the junior French Open because of a sprained ankle, feels he benefits little by playing in juniors’ tournaments when he should be making his mark in the senior circuit. So, instead of going to Wimbledon he has decided to play in two back-to-back Futures tournaments at home, his mother said.
“It was a conscious decision not to play at Wimbledon. There is no point going there with none of the top seeds playing. Instead, he will be better off playing in men’s tournaments. He will benefit more by playing in the men’s circuit,” Indu Bhambri said Saturday.
Yuki won his maiden ITF title last month and went on to add another within a week.
The two ITF titles catapulted Yuki to 661st position, jumping 897 places.
- Yuki skips Wimbledon to play in Futures - Jun 06, 2009
- Yuki jumps 111 places in ATP rankings - Jul 13, 2009
- Yuki wins $15,000 ITF title in Nigeria - Oct 23, 2011
- Tennis nationals: Vishnu, Prerna lead men's and women's field - Oct 09, 2011
- Top seed Yuki eyeing his second junior Grand Slam - Sep 06, 2009
- Yuki Bhambri pulls out of junior French Open - May 26, 2009
- Yuki raring to go at Delhi ITF - Jun 28, 2009
- Yuki Bhambri and Rutuja Bhosale are new national tennis champions - Oct 15, 2011
- Four Indians for Junior Australian Open - Jan 20, 2012
- Yuki back in ITF fold in tune-up to junior US Open - Aug 23, 2009
- Yuki in boys' singles quarterfinals of US Open - Sep 11, 2009
- It's for AITA to decide Olympics line-up: Bhupathi - Feb 09, 2012
- Yuki, Vardhan ready for Olympics (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Yuki overcomes Myneni, plays Vishnu in the final - Oct 14, 2011
- Yuki hopes to make Davis Cup squad, but has no visa - Aug 29, 2009