Yuki returns home to a surprise party (Lead)February 2nd, 2009 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 2 (IANS) India’s Yuki Bhambri, who returned to a hero’s welcome here Monday after winning the junior Australian Open title, had a surprise party, complete with a cake in the shape of his trophy, waiting for him at his home here.The 16-year-old’s family, who barely got to speak to him after his triumph, had arranged the impromptu party for him.
“Yuki was not aware of the party. We got a cake for him in the form of a trophy to mark his win at Australian Open. It was only among the family members. He made all of us so proud,” his cousin Vinayak told IANS.
Vinayak and Yuki are best of friends and both are class X students at the Delhi Public School, Mathura Road.
Vinayak, who also plays tennis, said his cousin’s popularity has gone up in school after his triumph.
“Ours is a big family, so we never needed to look for friends outside. Yuki and I are the closest since we are of the same age. He has now more popular in school and my other friends are asking me to introduce them to him,” said Vinayak.
He also praised the soon to be junior World No. 1 player’s modesty.
“As a friend, what I like the most about him is that he is very down to earth and has no airs about him. Despite his achievement, he is not cocky about it,” Vinayak maintained.
“Yuki, besides tennis, also takes keen interest in cricket, Sachin Tendulkar being his favourite. He loves swimming. Of late, he has also taken to golf.”
Asked what aspect of Yuki’s game stands out, Vinayak said: “He is mentally very tough. Many a times he has been down in a match but has the ability to stay calm make things work in his favour.”
- Yuki returns home to a surprise (With Yuki overwhelmed by crowd support at Melbourne) - Feb 02, 2009
- Four Indians for Junior Australian Open - Jan 20, 2012
- Chennai Open: Yuki puts out fancied Beck - Jan 02, 2012
- Bhambri happy with performance - Jan 05, 2012
- It's for AITA to decide Olympics line-up: Bhupathi - Feb 09, 2012
- Chennai Open: Bhambri laments lack of support - Jan 02, 2012
- National Tennis: Vishnu, Yuki breeze into semis - Oct 13, 2011
- Maken retreats; AITA, Bhupathi back to square one (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Yuki overcomes Myneni, plays Vishnu in the final - Oct 14, 2011
- Yuki returns to his happy hunting ground - May 09, 2010
- Tennis nationals: Vishnu, Prerna lead men's and women's field - Oct 09, 2011
- Davis Cup: Bhambri plays King-Turner, Vardhan vs. Statham - Sep 13, 2012
- Paes' Olympic partner hangs fire - Jan 01, 2012
- Vardhan hopes to shine on Wimbledon grass - Jun 21, 2012
- Vishnu, Yuki get wild cards for Chennai Open - Dec 22, 2011
Tags: airs, australian open, australian open title, best of friends, class x, cousin, cricket, delhi public school, delhi public school mathura road, family members, favour, feb 2, impromptu party, keen interest, match, modesty, New Delhi, sachin tendulkar, surprise party, yuki bhambri