Yuki retires hurt in final, wins silver for IndiaAugust 21st, 2010 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
Singapore, Aug 21 (IANS) India’s Yuki Bhambri had to contend with a silver medal at the Youth Olympics as he retired after suffering cramps against Juan Sebastian Gomez of Colombia in the boys singles final here Saturday.
Yuki pushed India’s medals tally to four at the Olympics.
It was turning out to be an exciting final until Yuki developed cramps and had to concede the match. The first two sets were decided in tie-breaks and the Indian was trailing 1-4 in the decider when cramps got the better of him. The final scoreline was 6-7, 7-6, 4-1 in the favour of the Colombian.
“It was unfortunate I had to retire like this in a final. I want to thank the Indian fans who supported me thoughout the tournament. I will have to be satisfied with the silver this time around. Maybe next time, I can win the gold,” said Yuki.
It was the first medal for India in tennis. Indian wrestlers Pooja Dhanda (60 kg) and Satyawart Kadian (100 kg) won silver and bronze medals while H.S. Prannoy won silver in boys badminton singles.
- Yuki, Arjun win silver for India (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- Vikas bags bronze, paddlers struggle at Youth Olympics - Aug 24, 2010
- Youth Olympic medal winners to get cash rewards - Aug 28, 2010
- India finish with eight medals at inaugural Youth Olympics - Aug 26, 2010
- Shiva Thapa shines for India at Youth Olympics - Aug 22, 2010
- Prannoy, Yuki shine at Youth Olympics - Aug 18, 2010
- Wrestler Satywart Kadian wins bronze at Youth Olympics - Aug 17, 2010
- Youth Olympics: Prannoy wins silver, Yuki reaches final - Aug 19, 2010
- Paes' Olympic partner hangs fire - Jan 01, 2012
- It's for AITA to decide Olympics line-up: Bhupathi - Feb 09, 2012
- Yuki advances; Vishnu flatters to deceive (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil assures 6th medal for India (Fourth Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic bronze not the end of my road: Mary Kom (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Russia unhappy at not winning weightlifting gold - Aug 16, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil Kumar loses final, secures silver - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: badminton, bronze medals, cramps, decider, favour, gomez, india singapore, indian fans, juan sebastian, kadian, match, medals tally, olympics, scoreline, silver medal, tie breaks, wins silver, wrestlers, youth olympics, yuki bhambri