Yuki Bhambri returns to Delhi to a ”grand” welcomeFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 6:05 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 2 (ANI): Yuki Bhambri, who became the first Indian to win the junior boys title at the Australian Open, returned home to a grand welcome on Monday.
The sixteen-year-old who belied his lean frame but underlined his top ranking to claim the Australian Open boys” singles title was literally left speechless as he reached here to a rousing reception.
Besides his family members, his coach Aditya Sachdeva and hundreds of fans and friends had gathered at the Indira Gandhi International Airport to receive him with beating drums and garlands.
“It’’s a great achievement for Yuki. Its overwhelming like I said, its unreal,” said Sachdeva who has been Yuki’’s coach for past six years. The Delhi lad won the Australian Open boys title last week, after beating German opponent Alexandros-Ferdinandos Georgoudas 6-3, 6-1 in the final.
Though it was Bhambri’’s first encounter with his unseeded German opponent, he wrapped up the contest in straight sets without showing any signs of nervousness.
After losing in last year’’s semi-final, Bhambri reworked on his game to emerge as the champion this year.
Bhambri has become the third Indian junior to win a title after Ramesh Krishnan (French and Wimbledon junior champ in 1979) and Leander Paes (Wimbledon junior crown in 1990 and the US Open title in 1991). (ANI)
- Yuki Bhambri wins Australian Open junior title - Jan 31, 2009
- Delhi boy Yuki creates history, wins junior Australian Open (Lead) - Jan 31, 2009
- Four Indians for Junior Australian Open - Jan 20, 2012
- Yuki Bhambhri wins Australian Open boys'' title - Jan 31, 2009
- Lok Sabha Speaker congratulates Yuki Bhambri - Jan 31, 2009
- Yuki wins junior Australian Open to create history (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2009
- Australian Open: Yuki wins junior title; narrow miss for Bhupathi-Knowles (Roundup) - Jan 31, 2009
- Yuki in Australian Open final, confident of pulling it off - Jan 30, 2009
- Yuki Bhambri wins Junior Australian Open in 2009 - Jan 31, 2009
- I am focussing on singles: Yuki Bhambri - Feb 06, 2009
- Top seed Yuki eyeing his second junior Grand Slam - Sep 06, 2009
- Yuki in boys' singles quarterfinals of US Open - Sep 11, 2009
- Sania-Bhupathi in mixed doubles, Yuki in boys final (Round Up) - Jan 30, 2009
- Yuki wins maiden ITF title - Apr 25, 2009
- Davis Cup: Yuki gives India 1-0 lead - Sep 14, 2012
Tags: australian open, beating drums, feb 2, first encounter, grand welcome, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, junior boys, junior champ, lad, leander paes, open boys, ramesh krishnan, rousing reception, sachdeva, signs of nervousness, singles title, straight sets, wimbledon, yuki bhambri