Youth Olympics should not be an expensive affair: IOC presidentJanuary 23rd, 2012 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
Innsbruck (Austria), Jan 23 (IANS) International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge has said the Youth Olympic Games (YOG) should not be made a costly affair.
Compared with the traditional Olympic Games, which often cost huge amounts of money, the Youth Games, Rogge says, should be a money-saving task.
“The Youth Games should be staged in city where we don’t need new construction and we have to rely on the existing construction,” said Rogge in a press conference before the closing ceremony of the inaugural Winter YOG here.
The Winter YOG was held during the past ten days in the Austrian ski resort, host of the 1964 and 1976 Winter Olympic Games with no new stadiums built specially for the event. The Innsbruck Organising Committee made full use of the existing stadiums, which Rogge was satisfied with.
“The principle is that we don’t want a big capacity stadium. Here most of the stadiums have a capacity of 2,000 people. I think small stadiums create a better atmosphere,” Rogge said.
- Six cities bid for 2018 Youth Olympic Games - Mar 03, 2012
- Flame for Innsbruck 2012 Youth Olympics lit in Athens - Dec 18, 2011
- Glasgow is Britain's lone potential candidate for 2018 Youth Olympics - Jan 31, 2012
- British Olympic Association backs Glasgow as 2018 Youth Olympics host - Feb 23, 2012
- IOC chief calls for fair Games, praises Vancouver - Feb 10, 2010
- Six new events for 2014 Winter Olympics - Apr 07, 2011
- Making mega sporting events viable - the Singapore way (Comment) - Oct 01, 2010
- Rogge praises Youth Games, expects top athletes in 2014 - Aug 26, 2010
- IOC says many countries interested in hosting Youth Olympics - Aug 21, 2010
- Pondering over facilities as Games excitement builds up - Oct 01, 2010
- Rogge terms London Olympics 'happy & glorious' - Aug 13, 2012
- Winter Olympics kick off in Vancouver (Second Lead) - Feb 13, 2010
- Georgian luger's death casts shadow over Winter Games (Lead) - Feb 13, 2010
- Concern for spectators' skin care at Olympics (London diary) - Jul 29, 2012
- Come, ski down Himachal's grassy slopes (Lifestyle Feature) (With Images) - Jun 24, 2012
Tags: atmosphere, closing ceremony, committee president, costly affair, existing construction, innsbruck austria, international olympic committee, money, new construction, new stadiums, olympic committee president jacques rogge, olympic games, olympics, organising committee, principle, ski resort, winter olympic games, youth games, youth olympics