Young BMX rider dies after crashJuly 1st, 2012 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
Riga (Latvia), July 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A 17-year-old Latvian freestyle BMX rider has died of injuries sustained in a crash during a competition here, organisers said Sunday.
Arturs Grikis fell from his bike at the Ghetto Games extreme sports event Saturday, and died of internal injuries at the city’s Ventspils hospital Sunday morning.
Event organiser Raimonds Elbakjans told Latvian news agency LETA that Grikis slipped while performing a 360-degree spin and landed heavily on his abdomen.
“He was a very strong guy, so after the incident he was able to stand up and walk to the ambulance that took him to hospital,” Elbakjans said.
“At seven in the morning, we were told of the tragedy and automatically cancelled the competition.”
The Ghetto Games festival was the first to be held in Riga and was scheduled to include 1,500 competitors from 15 countries over three days.
Grikis had been billed as a promising rider who had begun to attract international attention.
- Latvian President dissolves parliament - May 29, 2011
- Olympic cycling: Strombergs retains BMX gold medal - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic equestrian: Dujardin prances to dressage gold for Britain - Aug 10, 2012
- Latvian Police search for escaped bear - Apr 23, 2012
- Dundee United to face Dynamo Moscow in Europa League - Jul 20, 2012
- Olympic sailing: Finland snatches elliot bronze - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic volleyball: Italy beats Bulgaria for bronze - Aug 12, 2012
- 60-year-old worker at Japan's quake-hit n-plant dies - May 14, 2011
- Two killed in mass brawl in Russia - Apr 23, 2012
- Zvonareva confirmed for London Olympics - Jun 22, 2012
- Olympics: Wang retires to hand Saina badminton bronze (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Russia storms to canoe sprint double gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Sharapova could carry Russian flag in Olympics - Jun 13, 2012
- Olympic cycling: Colombia's Pajon flies to gold in women's BMX - Aug 10, 2012
- Turkish hackers attack Spartak site - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: abdomen, ambulance, bmx rider, crash, event organiser, extreme sports, freestyle bmx, games, ghetto, internal injuries, international attention, july 1, latvia, latvian news, news agency, ria novosti, sports event, sunday morning, tragedy, ventspils