Young Bhullar joins top stars at Volvo Masters golfDecember 15th, 2008 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
Sentosa, Dec 15 (IANS) Young Indian golfer Gaganjeet Bhullar has finally made it to the Asian Tour fulltime as he picked the 65th and last Tour card.A visibly relieved Bhullar finished 65th on Money List and earned full playing rights for 2009. He was the last player to earn full playing rights on the Asian Tour next year and also qualifying for this week’s season-ending Volvo Masters of Asia in Bangkok.
The talented Bhullar produced a stunning final round performance at the Johnnie Walker Cambodian Open Sunday to pip Australian Adam Groom by a mere $681 for the final spot.
He shot an impressive eight-under-par 64 at Phokeethra Country Club and ended his Cambodian campaign in a tie for 11th place. The result pushed him into the top-65 on the Asian Tour’s Order of Merit which was needed to secure his card and a place at Volvo Masters of Asia at Thai Country Club.
Bhullar will tee up at the Volvo Masters alongside stalwarts from India like Money leader, Jeev Milkha Singh, S.S.P. Chowrasia and Jyoti Randhawa. Other Indians who have qualified for the season-ending Tour championships are Gaurav Ghei, Digvijay Singh and Shiv Kapur making it a total of seven Indians in the field.
“The motivation of making into the top-65 kept me alive,” admitted Bhullar, who has earned $82,825 this season.
He had entered the week in 67th place and said the pressure to perform was immense. He heaved a sigh of relief after the final scores were tabulated on Sunday evening.
“It was quite a tense experience for me. There was a lot of pressure especially after missing the cut in Vietnam. I realised that my yoga exercises has definitely helped me a lot,” added Bhullar, who turned professional in 2006.
Prayad Marksaeng will defend his Volvo Masters of Asia title starting Thursday.
- Thongchai wins Cambodian Open golf, Lahiri secures Asian Tour card - Dec 12, 2010
- Flawless Lahiri moves to tied seventh in Cambodian Open golf - Dec 11, 2010
- Mixed bag for India, Ghei best at eighth in Volvo Masters - Dec 18, 2008
- Randhawa to make 200th Asian Tour appearance at Panasonic Open - Mar 14, 2012
- Kapur looking for a good finish at Cambodian Open - Nov 18, 2009
- Siddikur looks for maiden Asian Tour win - Jun 22, 2010
- Hiratsuka wins dramatic playoff at Black Mountain, Chowrasia 40th - Dec 19, 2010
- Jeev leads Indian show at Volvo Masters - Dec 17, 2008
- Bhullar becomes youngest Indian to win on Asian Tour - Jul 26, 2009
- Lahiri leads pack at SAIL-SBI Open golf - Feb 23, 2012
- Confident Bhullar hoping to strike big in Singapore - Oct 28, 2009
- Rai tied 37th, Lahiri 68th in Cambodian Open golf - Dec 09, 2010
- Himmat Rai ready for the big test at Hero Indian Open - Oct 04, 2011
- Lahiri seventh in Asian Tour's Order of Merit - Sep 03, 2012
- Bhullar hoping for a turnaround at Selangor Masters - Jul 18, 2011