Yan, Zvonareva in Bangalore Open quarterfinalsMarch 6th, 2008 - 6:13 pm ICT by admin
By Saumojyoti Singha Choudhury
Bangalore, March 6 (IANS) Seventh seed Vera Zvonareva of Russia had a tough time beating Romanian Agnes Szatmari, but unseeded Chinese Zi Yan hardly broke sweat against Ukrainian Olga Savchuk on their way to the quarterfinals of the $600,000 Canara Bank Bangalore Open here Thursday. Yan, who upset eighth seed Maria Kirilenko of Russia in the opening round, made short work of Ukrainian Olga Savchuk 6-2, 6-1 in the second round, while Zvonareva had to overcome an initial scare from Szatmari before winning 7-6 (5), 6-1 at the Karnataka State Lawn Tennis Association (KSLTA) courts.
Savchuk and Yan traded breaks in the first two games before the 23-year-old Chinese quickly broke twice, in the fourth and eight games, to take the first set.
Savchuk started the second set on a high note breaking Yan’s serve straightaway, but that was the only game she could win in the set.
Zvonareva somehow managed to keep her composure and win the first set tiebreaker 7-6 (5). But she transformed herself in the second set. The Russian, ranked 21 in the WTA charts, gave no chance to Szatmari and broke her twice - in the second and fourth games - to win the set 6-1.
- Venus battles her way into Bangalore Open quarterfinals - Mar 06, 2008
- Australian Open: Bopanna loses; Paes, Bhupathi advance in mixed doubles (Lead) - Jan 23, 2011
- Jankovic breezes, Venus toils hard to reach Bangalore Open quarterfinals - Mar 07, 2008
- Bopanna loses in first round of mixed doubles - Jan 23, 2011
- Australian Open: Djokovic sails into 3rd round - Jan 19, 2012
- Indians bow out in first round of QNet women's championship - Mar 19, 2012
- Sania-Gallovits in doubles semis at Guangzhou - Sep 18, 2010
- Olympic tennis: Williams destroys Sharapova to win gold - Aug 04, 2012
- US Open: Nadal, Murray in last 16; Stosur vs. Zvonareva in women's quarters - Sep 05, 2011
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- Yan shocks Kirilenko in Bangalore Open first round - Mar 05, 2008
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- US Open: Leander enters mixed doubles quarters - Sep 03, 2011
- Woznicaki scrapes past Hradecka in China Open - Oct 03, 2011
Tags: chinese zi, composure, eight games, eighth seed, game, high note, karnataka state, lawn tennis association, maria kirilenko, olga savchuk, open quarterfinals, russia, scare, sweat, two games, ukrainian, unseeded, vera zvonareva, winning 7, zi yan