Yakubu set to join Chinese clubJune 29th, 2012 - 5:22 pm ICT by IANS
Guangzhou (China), June 29 (IANS) Blackburn and Nigerian striker Yakubu Aiyegbeni is set to complete his move to Guangzhou R&F; very soon, a top official of the Chinese Super League side said.
“The deal is almost done as he has passed his physical. We will make an official announcement very soon,” Guangzhou R&F; vice president Lu Yi told Xinhua.
Yakubu, 29, arrived in Guangzhou Monday night to finalize the proceedings of his transfer.
The Nigerian admitted that he knew little about the Chinese league, saying former Chelsea duo Nicolas Anelka and Didier Drogba played a part in his decision to come to China.
“To be frank, I hadn’t watched a single game of Chinese league in England, but recently it has been a hot topic since the acquisition of Nicolas Anelka and Didier Droba,” Yakubu said.
“Some club in West Asia has offered me an even bigger deal than Guangzhou, but I noticed more and more high profile players are joining China. This has given me confidence,” he added.
Less famous than the former Chelsea duo, Yakubu has been prolific as well. He scored 114 goals in 10 years in English leagues since he joined Portsmouth in 2002. He has been a regular for the Nigerian national team since 2000 and scored 21 goals in 54 appearances.
Guangzhou R&F; are currently fourth in the Chinese Super League table. The club reportedly offered the Nigerian a yearly salary of five million euros plus a bonus based on performance. But the club refused to comment on the report.
“The most important thing is that Yakubu is our first choice, we believe he can be more successful than Drogba in China,” Lu said.
- Yakubu shines on CSL debut - Jul 16, 2012
- Blackburn's Yakubu set to join Chinese club Guangzhou - Jun 19, 2012
- Drogba makes immediate impact in China - Jul 23, 2012
- Nicolas Anelka signs with China's Shanghai Shenhua - Dec 12, 2011
- Drogba arrives in China to rousing reception - Jul 14, 2012
- Drogba signs with Shanghai Shenhua - Jun 20, 2012
- Drogba confirms Chelsea exit - May 22, 2012
- Chinese football pinning hopes on Seedorf and Drogba - May 22, 2012
- Shanghai Shenhua confirms contract with Drogba - Jun 19, 2012
- Champions League win my greatest achievement: Didier Drogba - Jun 17, 2012
- Chinese club prepares huge offer for Kaka? - Jun 28, 2012
- Lippi confirms Conca stay - Jul 15, 2012
- Chelsea posses best attack of Premier League: Ancelotti - Apr 02, 2011
- Kalou, Bosingwa leave Chelsea - Jul 01, 2012
- Won't play for another English club: Drogba - May 23, 2012
Tags: 10 years, blackburn, chinese club, didier droba, didier drogba, first choice, guangzhou china, hadn, high profile, hot topic, june 29, lu yi, monday night, nicolas anelka, portsmouth, striker, west asia, xinhua, yakubu aiyegbeni, yearly salary