Yadav strikes twice after Australia make a determined start (Second Lead)December 26th, 2011 - 9:57 am ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Dec 26 (IANS) India pacer Umesh Yadav struck twice reducing Australia to 68 for two in the first innings on the first morning of the Boxing Day Test as rain brought an early lunch break at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) here Monday.
Debutant opener Ed Cowan was batting on 14 and Ricky Ponting 15 at the lunch break here after Yadav picked up the wickets of David Warner (37) and Shaun Marsh.
After winning the toss, Australia made a determined start and survived a difficult first hour with both Cowan and Warner batting well in tandem for their 46-run stand that came off 79 balls. Both the batsmen had contrasting approach. Cowan was watchful while Warne was forceful.
But a brief rain delay, broke Warner’s concentration and the diminutive opener was caught behind gloving a short ball from Yadav’s first delivery after the break.
Marsh survived just six balls before pushing hard at Yadav delivery outside off for an easy catch.
Ponting was immediately struck in the grille of his helmet while trying to pull that then almost dropped onto his stumps.
- Yadav picks up three; Cowan, Ponting 50s take Australia to 170/3 (Second Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- India let Australia off the hook (Roundup) - Dec 26, 2011
- Australia reduced to 68/2 as rain stops play (Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Day I - Dec 26, 2011
- First Test evenly poised as 15 wickets fall on third day (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- Yadav's maiden fifer gives India something to cheer (Second Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Ashwin's double strike leave Australia at 98/3 (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. Australia, First Test, Day One - Dec 26, 2011
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs. Australia, third Test, Day Two - Jan 14, 2012
- Ponting completes 13,000 Test runs; Australia 214/3 at tea (Second Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Day II - Dec 27, 2011
- Tea scoreboard: India vs. Australia, First Test, Day 1 - Dec 26, 2011
- Triple strikes from Yadav trouble Australia (Second Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Warner, Marsh and Ponting victims of Yadav's burst - Dec 26, 2011
- India staring at third big defeat in Australia (Roundup) - Jan 14, 2012
Tags: australia, balls, boxing day, boxing day test, concentration, cowan, david warner, debutant, helmet, India, lunch break, marsh, melbourne cricket ground, pacer, rain delay, ricky, ricky ponting, stumps, tandem, wickets