WSH appoints coaches and captainsNovember 26th, 2011 - 11:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 26 (IANS) World’s top coach Roelant Oltmans will train the Delhi team while India’s top midfielder Sardara Singh has been appointed captain of Bhopal in World Series Hockey (WSH), starting Dec 17.
Olympics Gold medalist Brent Livermore will lead Chennai while former India captain Jude Felix will coach the Bangalore team.
The appointments were made at a franchise workshop held Saturday. The players for the eight teams will be finalised Monday based on the globally approved draft system.
The draft will consist of 24 rounds where a team will pick a player in each round. Each team will have a minimum of 22 and a maximum of 25 players (including the captain). The teams will have a maximum of six non-Indian players, and a minimum of four local players from their territory and four Indian Youth Players.
“The franchises are delighted with their appointment of the captains and coaches. The dynamic combination of the world’s most explosive players and the best coaches will provide inspirational leadership to the respective teams,” said Yannick Colaco, COO, Nimbus Sport, the broadcaster of the event.
Three of the eight city-based franchise, Chennai, Bangalore and Pune, has been named so far.
Team Captain Coach
Bangalore Arjun Halappa Jude Felix
Bhopal Sardar Singh V. Bhaskaran
Chandigarh Rehan Butt Harendra Singh
Chennai Brent Livermore Jose Brasa
Delhi Lucas Vila Roelant Oltmans
Mumbai Adrian D Souza Andrew Meredith
Pune Rodrigo Garza Gundeep Singh
Punjab Prabhjot Singh Rajinder Singh
- 176 players sign up for World Series of Hockey - Jul 21, 2011
- Three former Pakistan captains sign-up with World Series of Hockey - Aug 17, 2011
- Wizcraft acquires WSH Delhi franchise - Nov 28, 2011
- Hockey India short-lists five foreigners for coach's job - Jun 16, 2011
- WSH: Indian striker Rajpal Singh in Delhi Wizards - Nov 30, 2011
- 1988 Olympics: Another dismal finish for Indian hockey (Sports Special) - Jul 19, 2012
- Nine venues selected for World Series Hockey - Nov 12, 2011
- Karan stars in Bhopal Badshahs win in WSH - Mar 05, 2012
- 'New hockey coach's tenure will be till 2016 Olympics' - Jun 28, 2011
- Cheetahs confident of winning WSH - Feb 24, 2012
- IHF, Nimbus launch ambitious World Series Hockey - Dec 28, 2010
- HI calls meeting of selectors, coaches to sort out players' issue - Aug 24, 2011
- Australian Nobbs is India's hockey coach - Jun 29, 2011
- World Series Hockey to start Feb 29 - Jan 23, 2012
- 1992 Olympics: Indian hockey suffers due to indiscipline (Sports Special) - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: arjun, bhopal, brasa, brent livermore, broadcaster, chandigarh, draft system, dynamic combination, finalised, franchise workshop, gold medalist, inspirational leadership, local players, prabhjot singh, pune, punjab, rajinder singh, rehan, sardar singh, team captain