Wright must improve New Zealand’s ‘cricket smarts’: RichardsonDecember 26th, 2010 - 5:54 pm ICT by ANI
Auckland, Dec 26(ANI): New Zealand’s new coach John Wright must ‘crack the whip’ and ask his senior players including captain Daniel Vettori to focus on their own performances, former batsman Mark Richardson has said.
“The biggest challenge for Wright will be to improve the team’s cricket smarts. We know the senior players are capable of more and are the catalyst for good performance in the team, but they continue to make poor decisions,” Richardson wrote in an article for the New Zealand Herald.
“All the talent is there in the batting line up, it’s just a matter of how to get it to shine more often.”
“Somehow Wright achieved that with India, admittedly a better canvas to work with, but it comes down to the same principle … an attitude shift,” he added.
Richardson further believes that Wright must retain the Black Caps’ coaching structure to build a strong team ahead of next year’s 50-over World Cup.
“While Wright appears to want a simple structure, less cluttered with specialist coaches and consultants, I can’t imagine he professes to knowing everything about batting, bowling and fielding,” Richardson wrote.
“But he may know plenty about creating a winning culture. That is what he appeared to create in India. There he had a team that could have easily been torn apart by egos and player resistance, but he got India working together, playing well and fighting hard,” he added. (ANI)
- Vettori wants Wright as coach to overhaul Black Caps' dreadful ODI slump - Dec 15, 2010
- John Wright named new coach of New Zealand - Dec 20, 2010
- Kiwis must halt embarrassing slide in one-day cricket: Richardson - Dec 13, 2010
- World Cup win not beyond New Zealand: Richardson - Jan 23, 2011
- Intikhab warns Kiwi cricket fans not to expect instant results from John Wright - Dec 22, 2010
- Kiwis need a string of wins to turn poor one-day form around: Richardson - Dec 06, 2010
- Coach Wright takes on an Aussie assistant - Dec 24, 2010
- Frustrated over repeated errors, Wright to reshuffle Kiwis batting order - Mar 22, 2011
- Vettori, Wright say Kiwi failure in Wellington Test 'not an option' - Jan 14, 2011
- Vettori firm on quitting captaincy after World Cup - Dec 27, 2010
- Wright is the man with a World Cup plan for the Black caps - Feb 04, 2011
- Wright reluctant to get into New Zealand captaincy debate - Apr 01, 2011
- McCullum forces Kiwi selectors into U-turn over inclusion for Pak T20 match - Dec 23, 2010
- Pakistan team united like the 1992 WC winning side: Intikhab - Jan 20, 2011
- New Zealand cricketers asked to give views on next captain - Jun 13, 2011
Tags: attitude shift, auckland, black caps, bowling, canvas, captain daniel, catalyst, coach john, cricket, egos, India, mark richardson, new zealand herald, poor decisions, principle, resistance, smarts, whip, world cup