Wrestler Dutt eliminated in second roundAugust 19th, 2008 - 2:56 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 19 (IANS) Yogeshwar Dutt won his first round, but then lost to a more experienced wrestler in the second to crash out of the Olympic men’s 60 kg freestyle competition here Tuesday.The Indian, who won his first round against Kazhak Baurzhan Orazgaliyev 3-1, lost the next bout to Japanese Kenichi Yumoto by the same margin in the quarterfinal at CAU Gymnasium.
With Yumoto himself losing the quarterfinal to European champion Vasyl Fedoryshyn of Ukraine, Dutt did not get into the repechage and that ended his Olympic campaign.
Talking of his first round, Dutt said: “It was a good competition (bout). I did not attack enough in the first period, but the score at the end was good. I was confident about the next bout, but things did not work out my way.”
A second win for Dutt would have put him in the semifinal from where he could have got into the repechage for a bronze, of which there are two in each category.
All wrestlers losing to the eventual finalists get a second chance in repechage to fight for a bronze. Since Dutt lost to Yumoto, who failed to make the final, the Indian was eliminated before the medal round.
Fedoryshyn would clash against Mallet Batirov of Russia for the gold medal.
India’s remaining two freestyle wrestlers are Sushil Kumar (66 kg) and Rajiv Tomar (120 kg).
- Olympic wrestling: Amit's bronze medal hopes alive, Yadav out (India Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Yogeshwar Dutt leads Indian challenge (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Russia's Otarsultanov lands controversial gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Indian wrestlers Yogeshwar, Amit book London berth, Sushil fails (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Indian wrestlers Amit Kumar, Narsingh Yadav out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Geeta in repechage (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Azerbaijan's Asgarov wins gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Geeta Phogat out of wrestling (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar in repechage (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Yogeshwar wins bronze, fifth Olympic medal fo India (Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Wrestler Geeta, high jumper Sahana out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar loses in pre-quarters (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: All eyes on Sushil after Yogeshwar's bronze (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar in second repechage (Third Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar a win away from bronze (Fourth Lead) - Aug 12, 2012