Wozniacki set to lose World No. 1 spotJanuary 24th, 2012 - 7:21 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 24 (IANS) Caroline Wozniacki will lose her World No.1 ranking after her quarter-final defeat by defending champion Kim Clijsters at the Australian Open here Tuesday.
The 21-year-old Dane first became No.1 in October 2010 at the China Open in Beijing and she has occupied the top spot all through, except for one week last February when Clijsters briefly took over.
But her 3-6, 6-7 (4-7) loss Tuesday ensured her reign will end when the new ranking list is released next Monday.
According to the WTA website, Petra Kvitova and Victoria Azarenka will be ranked ahead of Wozniacki in the latest rankings. And so will be Maria Sharapova if she advances into the semifinals of the Australian Open.
“To be honest, I don’t really think about it. I have been there for a long time already,” Wozniacki said.
“I finished number one two years in a row. We are just in January. In the end of the year you see who has played the best, most consistently all year round. I will get it back eventually, so I am not worried.”
Wozniacki, who has long been questioned because she has never won a Grand Slam, said that she has plenty of time to win.
“I start laughing every time the media talks to me like I am finishing my career and I only have one year left and time is running out,” she said.
“The fact is I still have quite a few good years in front of me. I will still improve. I still have a number of Australians and a number of US Opens and Wimbledons and French Opens left.”
“I will definitely do my best and try to win one or even more. In the end, you can just do your best. You can’t do anything more than that,” she added.
- Australian open: Wozniacki loses to Clijsters, surrenders World No.1 spot - Jan 24, 2012
- Azarenka destroys Sharapova to win Australian Open - Jan 28, 2012
- Caroline Wozniacki out of women's tennis top ten ranking - Sep 10, 2012
- Woznicaki hopes to retain No.1 ranking till end of season - Oct 01, 2011
- Australian Open: Sharapova to meet Kvitova in semis - Jan 25, 2012
- Kvitova overpowers Sharapova to win 2001 Wimbledon title - Jul 02, 2011
- Sharapova beats Azarenka to win Stuttgart WTA title - Apr 30, 2012
- Djokovic the player to beat at Melbourne Park - Jan 15, 2012
- Top four seeds enter semis at Stuttgart WTA Grand Prix - Apr 28, 2012
- Unseeded Kanepi knocks Wozniacki out of Pan Pacific Open - Sep 28, 2011
- US Open: Federer, Murray drawn to meet in semis - Aug 24, 2012
- Zvonareva, Clijsters sail into Australian Open semi-finals - Jan 26, 2011
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Australian Open: Nadal overcomes Berdych, to meet Federer in semis (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- China Open: Wozniacki, Zvonareva move ahead; Stosur eliminated - Oct 04, 2011
Tags: anything more than that, australian open, australians, beijing, briefly, caroline wozniacki, china, defending champion, grand slam, jan 24, kim clijsters, long time, maria sharapova, melbourne, petra, victoria azarenka, wimbledons, wta website