Wozniacki confident of getting fit before Australian OpenJanuary 12th, 2012 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Jan 12 (IANS) World No.1 Caroline Wozniacki is optimistic of her chances of participating in the year’s first Grand Slam, the Australian Open, after suffering a wrist injury after her three-set loss at the Sydney International here.
The Dane lost 3-6,7-5,6-2 to seventh seed Agnieszka Radwanska and immediately complained of pain to her left wrist.
“I hope it’s not serious. You know, I could feel it, especially in the third set. But I’m going to go get it checked out. I should be completely fine for the Australian Open,” Wozniacki was quoted as saying by The Australian.
MRI scans here Thursday revealed that the 21-year-old had a inflammation on the joint but no structural damage. Wozniacki will be travelling to Melbourne to go see a specialist and will undergo further scans.
A string of injuries to top women players has put the Australian Open under a cloud this year. Defending champion Kim Clijsters pulled out of her semi-final tie midway against Daniela Hantuchova after suffering an injury to her left hip at the Brisbane International, while 5-time winner here, Serena Williams too jarred her left ankle in her second-round win in Brisbane.
- Brisbane Open: Hantuchova in finals after Clijster retires - Jan 06, 2012
- Federer, Nadal in Australian Open quarters (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- Top seeds have comfortable outing in Australian Open - Jan 20, 2012
- Australian open: Wozniacki loses to Clijsters, surrenders World No.1 spot - Jan 24, 2012
- Australian Open: Nadal overcomes Berdych, to meet Federer in semis (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- Sania-Vesnina reach last four of Wimbledon - Jun 30, 2011
- Zvonareva, Clijsters sail into Australian Open semi-finals - Jan 26, 2011
- Clijsters upsets Ivanovic at Olympics - Aug 01, 2012
- Sania-Vesnina in Wimbledon quarterfinals - Jun 29, 2011
- Sania in mixed doubles third round, women's doubles semis (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Serena Williams wins fifth Wimbledon singles title - Jul 07, 2012
- US Open: Federer, Murray drawn to meet in semis - Aug 24, 2012
- Wozniacki set to lose World No. 1 spot - Jan 24, 2012
- Wozniacki advances, Fish shocked in Australian Open (Roundup) - Jan 18, 2012
- US Open, Day 2: Wozniacki out, Djokovic in second round (Roundup) - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: australian open, brisbane international, caroline wozniacki, daniela hantuchova, defending champion, getting fit, inflammation, kim clijsters, left ankle, melbourne, mri scans, serena williams, sydney international, time winner, top women, women players, wrist injury