World’s oldest boxer wants to square up with `Rocky’ StalloneMay 24th, 2009 - 4:33 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, May 24 (ANI): A Sydney father of seven, hailed as the world’s oldest professional boxer, is shaping up to fight Hollywood hero Sylvester Stallone.
Dexter “Dingo” Dunworth has started training for a possible bout in the US against the actor most famous for his roles as evergreen world champion boxer Rocky Balboa, reports the Sydney Morning Herald.
“I can only go by what I’m being told from America and that is I’m being put forward as an opponent for Stallone,” said Dunworth, 53.
“The fight is for the Mid-American Heavyweight Title. I have no idea what Stallone’s ability is like, but I’m told he has said [before] he could go six rounds against a heavyweight, but they’ve offered him four rounds. It’s exciting, and to be in the ring against the man who played Rocky would be a dream.”
Stallone, who won an Academy Award for his first portrayal of the underdog fighter in the 1976 film, has reportedly expressed a desire to box in a professional bout to bring “closure” to the big-screen story and its five sequels.
Stallone, 62, trained as a boxer before starring alongside light heavyweight world champion Antonio Tarver in Rocky Balboa - the last of the films - three years ago.
Dunworth’s US-based manager, Stacy Goodson, has approached Stallone’s representatives about fighting in Little Rock, Arkansas.
The Sun-Herald understands a powerbroker from US pay-TV giant Showtime is willing to make the bout as lucrative as possible for Stallone. (ANI)
- Robert De Niro, Sly 'to play rival boxers in new movie' - Oct 23, 2010
- Stallone announces that 'Rocky the musical' is coming soon - Nov 23, 2011
- Sly kills Rambo 5 plans - May 04, 2010
- Stallone regrets making 'Rocky V' - Jul 08, 2010
- Sly made no money from sixth 'Rocky' movie - Aug 07, 2010
- Holyfield says he's "going to be undisputed world heavyweight champ" - Apr 12, 2010
- Sylvester Stallone Plans To Take Up Direction - Jun 28, 2010
- Hugh Jackman studied boxing with Sugar Ray Leonard for 'Real Steel' - Jan 27, 2011
- Kanye West's 'Stronger' voted best workout song ever - Apr 08, 2011
- Rocky musical to be released next year - Nov 23, 2011
- Carl Froch Ruben admits to prolonging a title fight - Feb 20, 2012
- Klitschko calls off fighting against Chisora o take on Haye - Mar 06, 2011
- 'Rocky' inspires Hugh Jackman - Oct 17, 2011
- Sylvester Stallone drops 'Rambo 5' plans - May 04, 2010
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: academy award, antonio tarver, champion boxer, dingo, goodson, heavyweight title, heavyweight world, hollywood hero, little rock arkansas, portrayal, powerbroker, professional bout, professional boxer, rocky balboa, rocky stallone, sequels, sun herald, sydney morning herald, sylvester stallone, world champion