World tennis body voted for Chennai: KhannaApril 18th, 2009 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 18 (IANS) All India Tennis Association (AITA) secretary general Anil Khanna Saturday said the International Tennis Federation (ITF) decided in favour of Chennai as the venue for the Davis Cup tie between India and Australia May 8-10.
Tennis Australia last month requested ITF to switch their Asia-Oceania Group I third round tie from India, citing security concerns.
Khanna told IANS four of the five Davis Cup committee members ruled the tie in favour of India.
“It was an unanimous decision. Four members voted in our favour. One vote which went against us was by the Australian representative. I was confident from the start that the decision will be in our favour.
“We got an e-mail from the ITF late last night. The Davis Cup committee considered the report of their agency which visited Chennai. It said Chennai is a safe venue and that AITA is prepared to hold the tie,” said Khanna, who is in Chennai to oversee the preparation for the tie.
The ITF website Friday confirmed Chennai as the venue.
“The ITF has confirmed that the Davis Cup Asia/Oceania Zone Group I second round tie between India and Australia will take place at the SDAT Tennis Stadium in Chennai May 8-10,” ITF said in a statement.
“The location and venue were approved by the Davis Cup Committee following a positive report from the ITF’s security consultants.”
The winner of the tie will qualify for the World Group play-off.
- Chennai as Davis Cup venue never in doubt: Khanna(Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- After 19 years, Chandigarh to host Davis Cup tie - Sep 02, 2012
- Paes to miss Davis Cup tie against Japan - Sep 13, 2011
- Mahesh Bhupathi opts out of Davis Cup tie - Mar 06, 2012
- Australia mulling boycott of Davis Cup tie - Apr 18, 2009
- India declared winner after Australia forfeits Davis Cup tie (Intro Roundup) - Apr 26, 2009
- Indian tennis body sore with ITF for letting Australia off lightly - May 23, 2009
- Play or forfeit Davis Cup tie: AITA to Australia - Mar 27, 2009
- Davis Cup: Somdev to lead India's challenge against Japan - Aug 19, 2011
- India may go back to grass if they play at home - Jun 20, 2011
- Indian team leaves for World junior tennis finals - Jul 29, 2011
- India will host next Davis Cup tie against Australia - Jul 17, 2009
- India retain Davis Cup team for Australia tie - Apr 16, 2009
- TA to appeal if suspended for Davis Cup pull-out - Apr 26, 2009
- Tennis federation to send security experts to Chennai (Lead) - Mar 26, 2009
Tags: aita, asia oceania, australian representative, cup asia, cup committee, davis cup, davis cup tie, e mail, group play, international tennis federation, itf website, security concerns, security consultants, tennis association, tennis australia, tennis stadium, unanimous decision, world group, world tennis, zone group