World T20: McCullum’s record century powers New Zealand to 59-run winSeptember 21st, 2012 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
Pallekele, Sep 21 (IANS) Brendon McCullum’s record-breaking century powered New Zealand to a 59-run win over Bangladesh in their first match of the World Twent20 cricket tournament at the Pallekele International Cricket Stadium Friday.
Brendan’s 58-ball 123 took New Zealand to 191 for three after Bangladesh opted to field. In reply, Bangladesh managed 132 for eight and suffered their ninth consecutive World Twenty20 loss.
Brendan’s record knock surpassed South African Richard Levi’s highest T20I score of 117 made earlier this year. The Kiwi wicketkeeper also became the only player to hit two centuries in Twenty20 internationals. He scored 116 against Australia in 2010.
His innings, comprising of 11 boundaries and seven sixes, did not let any of the Bangladeshi bowlers to settle down with five of the seven bowlers having a run rate of more than ten per over.
Brendan dominated the partnerships. The 94 for the second wicket with James Franklin (35) and with captain Ross Taylor (14 not out) for the third-wicket stand of 78, helped New Zealand set up a huge target for the Asian country to achieve.
Bangladesh in reply, started poorly losing four wickets by the seventh over.
Mahmudullah (15) and Nassir Hossain (50) tried stabilising the innings but it was too late by then as the run rate had already climbed well above 9.5.
Kiwi pacers Kyle Mills (3/33) and Tim Southee (3/16) wrecked havoc for the Bangladeshi batsmen taking six-wickets together.
Bangladesh will need to win their next match against Pakistan Tuesday here in Pallekele to qualify for the Super Eights.
New Zealand bagged the two points and will face Pakistan Sunday for their final group match.
- World T20: New Zealand beat Bangladesh by 59 runs - Sep 21, 2012
- World Twenty20 scoreboard: New Zealand vs Bangladesh - Sep 21, 2012
- World T20: Bangladesh choose to bowl against Kiwis - Sep 21, 2012
- India in drivers seat against New Zealand in Nagpur Test - Nov 21, 2010
- World T20: Kiwis set a target of 192 for Bangladesh - Sep 21, 2012
- Brilliant Gayle, Samuels give West Indies 2-0 lead - Jul 08, 2012
- Gayle, Pollard shine as Windies break winless slide - Jul 01, 2012
- India beat New Zealand by an innings and 115 runs - Aug 26, 2012
- Narine bursts back as Windies clinch series - Jul 02, 2012
- Kohli, Dhoni carry India to victory (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,