World T20: Australia axe Pattinson from preliminary squadJuly 18th, 2012 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, July 18 (IANS) Australia’s James Pattinson would have felt hard done by the the selectors as the young pacer was omitted from the preliminary 30-player World Cup Twenty20 squad announced Wednesday.
Pattinson has only played four T20s for Australia but has impressed in the longer format of the game, picking up 26 wickets from just five matches.
The 22-year-old made a dream start to his Test career, taking five wickets in his debut against New Zealand.
Clint McKay, Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins and Ben Hilfenhaus, who were all named for the Pakistan series, were named in the World Cup squad along with Mitchell Johnson, Dirk Nannes, Ryan Harris and Tasmania’s limited-overs specialist Ben Laughlin.
“The ICC World Twenty20 will be a fiercely contested tournament,” chairman of selectors John Inverarity was quoted as saying by Sydney Morning Herald.
“A great deal of flamboyant cricketing talent will be on display and some games will be turned on their heads by 10 minutes of brilliance.
“The squad announced today is full of talent, enterprise and all-round strength.
“Within the 30 players named is depth and cover for all departments within the team.”
Australia has been clubbed in group B alongside Ireland and the West Indies, and play their first match against Ireland Sep 19.
Squad: George Bailey (captain), Travis Birt, Dan Christian, Pat Cummins, Xavier Doherty, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Ryan Harris, Ben Hilfenhaus, Brad Hogg, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Ben Laughlin, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Andrew McDonald, Clint McKay, Dirk Nannes, Stephen O’Keefe, Tim Paine, Rob Quiney, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Adam Voges, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Shane Watson, Cameron White.
- Australia to rest Mike Hussey against India - Feb 11, 2012
- Harris, Starc dropped from Windies tour, Haddin recalled - Feb 29, 2012
- Maxwell gets Australian team call-up - Jul 16, 2012
- Ponting axed from Australia's ODI squad, Watson returns - Feb 20, 2012
- Forrest, Wade in Australia's Test squad; Haddin retained - Mar 14, 2012
- Australia field four debutants against New Zealand - Nov 26, 2011
- Australia recall Pattinson, drop Harris - Feb 28, 2012
- Harris returns to Australia Test squad - Dec 30, 2011
- Lee, Hodge named in Oz 30-man 2011 World Cup squad - Dec 17, 2010
- Dan Christian gets Australia call-up for second Test - Dec 05, 2011
- Veteran Hogg recalled to Australia's Twenty20 squad - Jan 23, 2012
- Australia retain squad for Adelaide Test - Jan 17, 2012
- Australia drop Marsh, rest Haddin for ODI tri-series - Jan 30, 2012
- Johnson lucky to get a Cricket Australia central contract - Jun 22, 2012
- Players going under the IPL hammer - Jan 07, 2011
Tags: adam voges, andrew mcdonald, brad hogg, cameron white, captain travis, david hussey, icc world twenty20, james faulkner, james pattinson, michael hussey, mitchell johnson, mitchell marsh, o keefe, quiney, ryan harris, shane watson, starc, sydney morning herald, tim paine, world cup squad