World No. 1 Lee knocked out of Indian OpenMarch 25th, 2009 - 9:20 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, March 25 (IANS) The Yonex Sunrise Indian Open badminton championship got off to a sensational start with World No. 1 Malaysian Chong Wei Lee being knocked out by unseeded Chinese player Chen Long in the first round here Wednesday.
World Champion Chong Wei lost 21-7, 16-21, 18-21 to Chen Long at the Gachibowli Stadium here.
Second seed Indian Saina Nehwal was in dominating form as she dispatched Malaysian Chew Yen Daphne NG 21-6, 21-10 in the first round in women’s singles.
Out of 33 Indian players in the men’s singles, only Anand Pawar, Anup Sridhar and Arvind Bhat sailed into the third round. The biggest casualty was last year’s runner-up and third seed Chetan Anand who lost to Wenlong Zhou of China 9-21, 24-22, 8-21. Anand struggled to win the first round against Chong Chieh Lok of Malaysia 14-21, 21-9, 22-20.
Ninth seed Bhat beat Singapore’s Yong Zhao Ashton Chen 21-10, 21-12.
Sixth seed Pawar got past Chinese Kai Wen 21-15, 19-21, 21-16 while Sridhar thrashed India’s Anshuman Hazarika 21-8, 21-8 in the second round.
Top seed in women’s draw Pi Hongyan of France moved to the second round after beating India’s Trupti Murgunde 21-18, 21-18.
Top seed Lee’s fall came too early in the tournament.
Lee said he was hit by food-poisoning.
“I was suffering from food poisoning and it made me weak. I played well in the first game but could not chase as I felt weak. He (Chen) played well today,” Lee said.
Lee played long rallies and quick smashes to win the first set easily but faltered in the next two, giving away quick points to his fitter opponent.
It was smooth sailing for second seed Indonesian Taufik Hidayat, who beat K. Nandagopal 21-8, 21-13 in 17 minutes.
- Saina in second round of Malaysia Open Grand Prix - May 04, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes shock first round exit (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Jayaram, Gurusaidutt, Saina in Hong Kong Open quarterfinals - Nov 17, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes a tearful first round exit (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- India Open: Sourabh, Sai Dutt lose in quarters to end home challenge - Apr 29, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh upsets Sony Dwi Kuncoro - Apr 27, 2011
- Saina, Chetan sail into third round on a day of upsets - Jun 09, 2010
- Saina, Kashyap shine on a gloomy day for India at Badminton Asian (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2010
- Saina, Kashyap give India reasons to smile (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- Saina reaches Indian Open badminton quarterfinal - Mar 26, 2009
- Jayaram stuns World No.7 at Japan Open - Sep 21, 2011
- Olympic badminton: 'Super Dan' plays Lee again in the final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- China's Chen takes badminton bronze - Aug 05, 2012
- Seven Indians qualify for main draw of India Open Super Series - Apr 26, 2011
- Thailand Open: Saina struggles to get past first round - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: anshuman, anup sridhar, arvind, bhat, chetan anand, chinese player, first game, food poisoning, pi hongyan, saina nehwal, sixth seed, smashes, smooth sailing, taufik hidayat, trupti, wei lee, world champion, yonex sunrise, yong zhao, zhou of china