World Cup stunner: Ireland score upset win over England (Third Lead)March 3rd, 2011 - 12:43 am ICT by IANS
Bangalore, March 2 (IANS) In the first upset of the 2011 World Cup, minnows Ireland stunned England by three wickets in a Group B match at the Chinnaswamy stadium here that went all the way to the wire.
Set to score 328 in 50 overs, the underdogs achieved the target in 49.1 overs, when upcoming all-rounder John Mooney hit James Anderson’s first ball of the last over for a four.
Earlier, England scored 327 for eight in the stipulated 50 overs after skipper Andrew Strauss won the toss and elected to bat.
Though the much-experienced England was confident of winning over Ireland as it did against the Netherlands at Nagpur Feb 22, the fastest century in this World Cup, by middle order Kevin O’Brien in a 162-run sixth wicket partnership with Alexander Cusack, 47, turned the heat on England.
With shoddy bowling and mediocre fielding, England never looked at being in the game after O’Brien and Cusack went about scoring at will, with the centurion hitting six mighty sixes and 13 fours in his 113-run innings.
Only English spinner Grame Swann was successful, taking three Irish wickets, while pacers James Anderson, Stuart Broad and Tim Bresnan were mauled.
- England elect to bat against Ireland - Mar 02, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: England vs Ireland, Group B - Mar 03, 2011
- Kevin's blazing century inspires historic Irish win (Intro Roundup) - Mar 03, 2011
- Ireland put India on notice with victory over England - Mar 03, 2011
- Irishman Kevin's fastest 2011 World Cup century shocks England (Roundup) - Mar 03, 2011
- England skipper pats Ireland for sensational victory - Mar 03, 2011
- England left looking like a pub side against Ireland: Brit press - Mar 03, 2011
- Ireland elect to field against England - May 05, 2010
- Stopping England juggernaut won't be easy for Ireland: Bresnan - Mar 02, 2011
- Unfazed Ireland looks ahead for better performance - Mar 07, 2011
- An Irish buzz on the eve of their match against India (Preview) - Mar 05, 2011
- Yuvraj takes five, Ireland all out for 207 (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: India vs Ireland, Group B - Mar 06, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: West Indies vs. Ireland - Mar 11, 2011
- West Indies will be wary of fast-improving Ireland (Preview) - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: anderson stuart, andrew strauss, bresnan, centurion, grame, james anderson, john mooney, minnows, nagpur, o brien, pacers, rounder, sixes, spinner, stunner, swann, target, underdogs, wicket partnership, wickets