World Cup Stage I archery: Indians put up a modest showMay 4th, 2011 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 4 (IANS) Commonwealth Games gold medallist Deepika Kumari was the only top-eight finisher in the FITA round as Indian archers put up a modest performance on day one of the World Cup Stage I in the Croatian city of Porec.
Amidst dominating display by Korean archers, the eight-member Indian recurve team tried its best to consolidate the position in one of the strongest fields in recent times.
Only Kumari could finish among the top eight in either section. CWG men’s gold medallist Rahul Banerjee was the best among Indian men on view finishing ninth Tuesday.
Korea’s Oh Jin Hyek (1359) and Im Dong-Hyun (1352) were the top two and world record holder in the FITA round, also from Korea, Kim Woojin finished fifth (1345). Banerjee (1334) was ninth, Tarundeep Rai (1325) 16th, Jayanta Talukdar (1321) 19th and Viswash (1301) 29th.
The Indian team comprising Banerjee, Rai and Talukdar ended fifth (3980) behind Korea, France, the US and Italy.
Korea unleashed a newcomer in Jung Dasomi who cornered all the limelight by standing first in three distances and in overall total in the ladies’ category. She totalled 1374 points. Korea also cornered the second and third places.
Among Indian women, Kumari (1328) was fifth, and Seema Verma, who represented India in the youth Olympics in Singapore, was 10th (1319). Olympian Laishram Bombayla Devi (1314) was 11th and Rimil Buruily (1278) shot much below her standard to end 51st.
The Indian team consisting of Deepika, Seema and Bombayla was second behind Korea with 3961 points.
In the mixed team event, the Indian pair of Banerjee and Kumari totalled 2662 to be fourth behind Korea, Great Britain and Italy.
- Archery World Cup Stage II: Deepika Kumari lifts Indian team to 2nd place - Jun 08, 2011
- Deepika second Indian woman archer to reach World Cup final - Sep 02, 2010
- Dismal show by Indian recurve archers - May 05, 2011
- Olympics: Deepika's show only silver lining for Indian archery (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Indian archers will target Olympic berth at World meet - Jun 30, 2011
- Olympics: India's archers primed for glory (Preview) - Jul 26, 2012
- World Cup archery: Indian women in bronze medal play-off - Jun 10, 2011
- India's men archers qualify for London Olympics - Jun 22, 2012
- Talukdar earns India one Olympic place in archery - Jul 09, 2011
- Olympic archery: Indian men's team knocked out - Jul 28, 2012
- Indian men 3rd, women 6th in archery World Cup qualifiers - Aug 06, 2010
- Olympics: India men bow out, Deepika now lone hope (Archery Intro Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic archery: Deepika's loss completes dismal India show (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- South Korea the team to beat at Olympics: Rahul Banerjee - Jul 14, 2012
- Indian women's archery team qualifies for Olympics (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
Tags: archers, archery, banerjee, city of porec, commonwealth games gold, croatian city, deepika, distances, gold medallist, indian men, indian pair, indian women, jin, kumari, limelight, newcomer, rahul, world cup, world record holder, youth olympics