‘World Cup semi-finalist’ Pak team richer by over a million dollarsApril 4th, 2011 - 12:40 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Apr 4(ANI): Members of the 15-man Pakistan cricket team have become richer by over a million dollars due to their stupendous show in the World Cup, where they were knocked out in the semi-finals stage by eventual champions India.
According to the Daily Times, the Pakistani team scooped up net prize money of 1.05 million dollars.
The prize money includes rewards for Pakistan’s five wins in the group matches for each of which they won 60,000 dollars, and 750,000 dollars for reaching the semi-final of the tournament.
The International Cricket Council will pay the prize money to the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), which will distribute it among the players and officials.
The six-week tournament, which was held on the Indian sub-continent, also promises a financial boost for the PCB, which had lost the hosting rights in 2009, shortly after militants attacked the Sri Lankan cricket team in Lahore.
The PCB will also be richer by around eight million dollars, which was assured to them for being the co-hosts.
“The money from the World Cup will definitely improve our financial health as we have already lost out on a lot of estimated revenue due to India’s refusal to tour Pakistan in early 2009 for a bilateral series. We have also been forced to play our last few “home” series abroad at neutral venues,” a PCB official said. (ANI)
- Pakistan mooting China as neutral venue for cricket - Dec 03, 2010
- PCB to receive 400,000 dollars for each World Cup match moved from Pakistan - Feb 04, 2011
- Indo-Pak cricket rivalry bigger than Ashes: Waqar - Apr 15, 2011
- Mani slams PCB over lack of effort to restore international matches in Pak - Jul 26, 2010
- Pakistan cricketers starts preparations for upcoming Sri Lanka tour - May 17, 2012
- PCB welcomes ECB boss Clarke's idea of sending World XI team to Pak - Aug 18, 2010
- PCB opens Lahore's Gaddafi Stadium for Indo-Pak WC semi-final treat for fans - Mar 30, 2011
- PCB devising strategy to claim compensation from ICC - May 06, 2009
- Ex-PCB CEO rubbishes reward to vanquished Pak WC team - Apr 20, 2011
- ICC to probe county match-fixing charges - Mar 11, 2012
- India's World Cup dream took shape years ago - Apr 03, 2011
- Pak's World Cup cricketers get Rs one million each - Apr 12, 2011
- Pakistan tour: Bangladesh Cricket Board satisfied with security - Mar 05, 2012
- Imran warns buoyant Pakistan against complacency in World Cup 2011 winning quest - Mar 25, 2011
- PCB seeks Govt. approval to submit report over 2009 Sri Lankan team terror attack - Jul 28, 2010
Tags: financial health, India, indian sub continent, international cricket council, million dollars, neutral venues, pak team, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, pakistan cricket team, prize money, rewards, semi finalist, semi finals, sri lankan cricket, sri lankan cricket team, world cup