World Cup performance exceeded my expectations: YuvrajApril 1st, 2012 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 1 (IANS) Yuvraj Singh, who made a telling contribution in India’s World Cup triumph a year ago, says he never expected to do well in the mega cricketing event.
The joy of wining the Cup and getting the Man of the Series award was short-lived for Yuvraj, who was diagnosed with lung cancer and had to be treated for it in the United States.
The stylish batsman, who has now recovered from the career-threatening disease, recalled the World Cup high in a video posted on his Twitter page.
“I will always remember the Indian flag flying high at the Wankhede Stadium. It meant everything to us. I never thought I will be fighting for my life after that but that is how it is sometimes,” said Yuvraj of the night when India beat Sri Lanka to win the coveted trophy.
Yuvraj scored 362 runs and took 15 wickets in the tournament, besides winning four Man of Match awards.
The 30-year-old revealed how his teammates, especially Sachin Tendulkar, motivated him to excel in the tournament.
“I had issues with form and fitness before the World Cup. I spoke to Sachin about my game and he told me one thing: ‘You will matter when it matters the most.’ Those words really pumped me and will always remain with me.”
Remembering another instance, Yujraj said: “One day Zak (Zaheer Khan) told me in Bangladesh: ‘You will do something special in the World Cup.’ At that time I was struggling with a bad wrist injury.”
India recorded memorable victories against Pakistan and Australia enroute the Cup final.
Talking about India’s journey to the title clash, Yuvraj said: “We had a lot of issues to deal with after we lost to South Africa in the group stage. But we managed to overcome that and go all the way.
“I think the win against Australia (in the quarterfinals) was special and it really mattered to me.”
- I was playing the World Cup for Tendulkar: Yuvraj - Apr 03, 2011
- Maintaining the top spot will be a challenge, asserts Yuvraj - Apr 03, 2011
- Indian team dedicates World Cup to nation, Sachin - Apr 03, 2011
- Sachin, Yuvraj, Zaheer selected in Team of the Tournament - Apr 03, 2011
- Sachin has always inspired me: Yuvraj - Apr 11, 2012
- Emotional Tendulkar rides on his team mates shoulders at Wankhede - Apr 03, 2011
- I only thought of saving my life: Yuvraj Singh - Sep 05, 2012
- Yuvraj uncertain about future but determined to play again (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Dhoni wins World Cup but India loses No 1 Test status (2011 in Retrospect - Cricket) - Dec 21, 2011
- 'We won the World Cup for Sachin Tendulkar': R Ashwin - Apr 04, 2011
- Yuvraj is Man of the Series, Dhoni Man of the Match - Apr 03, 2011
- Strauss, Hussey wickets my favourites in World Cup: Zaheer - Apr 14, 2011
- Tendulkar will end his World Cup career on a high: Ganguly - Sep 23, 2010
- Yuvraj Player of the Tournament; Dhoni Man of the Match of World Cup final (Lead) - Apr 03, 2011
- Yuvraj returns for T20 World Cup, Harbhajan recalled (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: april 1, bangladesh, batsman, group stage, indian flag, lung cancer, match, New Delhi, quarterfinals, south africa, teammates, title clash, trophy, wankhede stadium, wickets, world cup performance, world cup triumph, wrist injury, yuvraj singh, zaheer khan