World Cup 2022 Bid Won By Qatar, USA FumesDecember 3rd, 2010 - 7:08 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Dec 3, (THAINDIAN NEWS) United States President Barack Obama has severely criticized the decision of FIFA to select Qatar as the host of the 2022 World Cup over USA. He said in a statement at White House “I think it was the wrong decision”. The residents of USA were also equally disappointed after knowing the FIFA decision. Sunil Gulati, the US Soccer Federation president also echoed the words of the president saying it was a setback for US football. Just minutes after Qatar won the bid for the host of the 2022 World Cup, the angry and frustrated US supporters vented their anger on social networking and blog sites. Some of them used very strong words.
Qatar, considered a small time contender for the position of the host, edged ahead of other heavyweights like Japan and South Korea. Sepp Blatter, the president of FIFA admitted Qatar’s win after the vote given by the executive committee of the governing body. However, Qatar has very few necessary infrastructure or facilities that both USA and Australian has in abundance. For the USA, it was the sophomore important sports bid defeat.
The selection of the 2022 World Cup host has also been criticized by the sports veterans. They are of the view that in June and July, Qatar witnesses very high temperature and the players will be in problem for that. Another issue that can cause trouble is the close vicinity of the stadiums. The blow for England was no less. The star footballer David Beckham, British PM David Cameron and Prince William came together to bolster its prospects but the country lost out in its bid to win the bidding for 2018 world cup.
- Brad Pitt to compete with Beckham for World Cup bid - Jun 04, 2010
- England reacted like "bad losers" after failing to win WC bid: Blatter - Dec 09, 2010
- FIFA set to launch anti-corruption committee to improve image - Jan 03, 2011
- FIFA boss Sepp Blatter sorry for 'gay' remarks - Dec 18, 2010
- Qatar makes pitch for FIFA World Cup in the desert - Sep 15, 2010
- Blatter says no gay sex in Qatar during 2022 football World Cup - Dec 14, 2010
- FIFA is 'the galacticos of corruption', says former official - Dec 05, 2010
- Australia in denial over World Cup soccer snub - Jan 27, 2010
- Cameron to visit Zurich for last-ditch 2018 football WC bid lobbying - Nov 12, 2010
- Platini wants other Gulf nations to joint Qatar in hosting 2022 WC - Jan 13, 2011
- AFC chief against Qatar hosting 2022 World Cup jointly with other Gulf nations - Jan 15, 2011
- Russia plans to host 2018 FIFA World Cup in 13 cities - May 07, 2011
- India bids for 2015 Club World Cup, U-17 World Cup in 2017 - Mar 09, 2012
- 'British press, complaint against Russia may nix England's WC 2018 bid chances' - Oct 30, 2010
- AFC chief Hammam may challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: 2022 world cup, barack obama, contender, david beckham, david cameron, federation president, governing body, heavyweights, high temperature, necessary infrastructure, prince william, sepp blatter, small time, social networking, south korea, stadiums, sunil gulati, us soccer federation, world cup 2022, wrong decision