World Chess champ Anand shares limelight with Indian cricketersNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:42 am ICT by admin
“The award was very touching and all in all it is a great reception. It was nice to meet him (Rahul Dravid). I also met other colleagues from sports. Many of my friends came from all over India. It was fantastic,” Anand said.
Along with Dravid, N. Srinivasan, the treasurer of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and former Indian cricketers Krishnamachari Srikanth and W V Raman, members of the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association were also present on the occasion.
Anand arrived in India on October 15 after winning the global tournament in Mexico City by beating a field that included eight of the world’s top ten chess players.
Anand, 37, replaced Vladimir Kramnik of Russia as world champion on September 29, winning the tournament on points after tying a match with Hungarian Peter Leko on the 14th day of the contest, which he dominated from the start.
The Indian grandmaster had earlier won the World Championship in 2000, but some of the sheen was taken away from that win because the chess world at that time was split between two rival world bodies.
This time there was no taking away from his feat as the rival organisations have come under the FIDE.
Anand won the world junior title in 1989, becoming India’s first Grand Master at the age of 16. (ANI)
- Anand bids to be an all-time great (Profile) - May 30, 2012
- FIDE offers Chennai 2013 world chess title clash - Aug 11, 2011
- List of Anand's victories (Factfile) - May 30, 2012
- Anand excited about playing in front of home crowd - Jul 13, 2011
- Calls of Bharat Ratna for Anand gain momentum (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Putin praises Russian, Indian chess schools - May 31, 2012
- Indian chess body to recommend Anand for Bharat Ratna - Jan 03, 2012
- Putin praises Indian chess schools for Anand's success - May 31, 2012
- Anand cements place among all-time greats of chess (Profile) - May 12, 2010
- World chess title to be decided in te-breaker - May 28, 2012
- Prabhakar elected president of chess federation - Jun 30, 2011
- Spoilsport Anand outplays Kramnik, Abhijit second in Group C - Jan 31, 2010
- Anand draws with Carlsen in sixth round; drops to second - Nov 12, 2009
- I don't pay much attention to critics: Anand - Jul 12, 2012
- Anand meets Karjakin in Corus Chess first round - Jan 16, 2010
Tags: al nahyan, anand, chess champ, chess players, chess world, federation president, global tournament, india bcci, indian cricketers, khalifah, limelight, match, memento, peter leko, rahul dravid, sheikh sultan, tamil nadu cricket association, vladimir kramnik, world bodies, world chess