World Champion Anand gets new technology to better his chessDecember 22nd, 2008 - 9:55 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Dec 22 (IANS) World champion Viswanathan Anand was honoured for defending his world chess title by his sponsors Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) with a top-of the line gaming computer here Monday. The computer is powered by AMDs top of the line quad-core Phenom processor and the one teraflop ATI Radeon 4870×2 graphics card in a futuristic looking Asus chassis with specifications to match the need of the sporting giant.
“Firstly, I would like to thank AMD for the fantastic gift. I use and enjoy technology a lot. The three top focus areas for me in the game of chess are performance, speed and memory and I believe that AMD is the true leader in all three parameters,” smiled Anand accepting the gift.
“I have been using AMD’s technology to simulate real world chess environment while practicing at home and get all the power and performance required to simulate a real time intelligent and challenging chess game,” he said.
Anand said that use of computer technologies to practice and train, to develop new opening plans, analyse complex positions and solve difficult endings have completely revolutionised the way chess is played.
“Coming of technology into chess has changed the way the game is played today, than say two decades back, precisely in 1987 when the first computer database was created. Today, without the help of computers, it is hard to imagine playing chess. But, still the need of human mind is more today as all my competitors are taking the help of technology and it is through the mind that a game of chess is still won,” said Anand.
Anand first won the world title in 2000. He again become the world champion in 2007 and defended his title against Vladimir Kramnik in 2008.
AMD signed on Vishy, as the grandmaster is lovingly known to the world as its brand ambassador in India earlier this year.
AMD is a leading global provider of innovative processing solutions in the computing, graphics and consumer electronics markets.
“Vishy’s achievement is indeed a rare feet. We believe that AMD’s association with Vishy has helped us communicate the message of making informed decisions. We are proud to be associated with him,” said Ramkumar Subramanian, sales and marketing vice president, AMD India at the felicitation function.
- Anand bids to be an all-time great (Profile) - May 30, 2012
- Chess champ Anand against playing 'in silence' during world championship - Apr 24, 2010
- I don't pay much attention to critics: Anand - Jul 12, 2012
- Putin praises Indian chess schools for Anand's success - May 31, 2012
- List of Anand's victories (Factfile) - May 30, 2012
- Anand wins fifth World Chess title (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Putin praises Russian, Indian chess schools - May 31, 2012
- An upgrade makes "Jaguar" the world's fastest supercomputer - Nov 21, 2009
- World chess title to be decided in te-breaker - May 28, 2012
- Prabhakar elected president of chess federation - Jun 30, 2011
- Anand has same points as Carlsen, but trails in tie-break - Dec 16, 2010
- Calls of Bharat Ratna for Anand gain momentum (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- GTX 580 From The Stable Of Nvidia Unleashed - Nov 10, 2010
- Calls of Bharat Ratna for Anand gain momentum - May 30, 2012
- World's 5 fastest computers - Dec 01, 2009