World champion Anand gets grand welcomeJune 3rd, 2012 - 12:04 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 2 (IANS) Five-time world chess champion Viswanathan Anand Saturday returned here from Moscow to a grand welcome.
“I thank all those who came to receive me. I am very happy,” said Anand, 42.
His wife Aruna Anand, who too returned with him, said: “I am feeling so happy. It was a tense match, Anand played the tie-breaker really well. We are looking forward to meeting our son Akhil.”
The world champion was received by his family members, friends, fans and chess association officials at the airport.
He thanked Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa for her gesture of announcing Rs.2 crore cash award on his winning the world title for the fifth time by beating his Israeli challenger Boris Gelfand in the tie-breaker in Moscow Wednesday.
Anand said he would meet the chief minister soon.
- Anand's family elated at win - May 30, 2012
- Family celebrates Anand's historic feat in Moscow (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Too tense to be happy: Anand - May 30, 2012
- Anand crowned World Chess Champion for fifth time (Second Lead) - May 30, 2012
- You've made the nation proud: PM to Anand - May 30, 2012
- No retirement yet for Vishy Anand (Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
- I'm relieved: Anand (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Anand wins fifth World Chess title (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Jayalalithaa greets Anand - May 31, 2012
- PM congratulates Anand (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- West Bengal invites Anand to Kolkata - Jun 01, 2012
- I don't pay much attention to critics: Anand - Jul 12, 2012
- My 40-minute chess move was crucial: Gelfand - May 29, 2012
- Chess fraternity pays tribute to Anand - May 30, 2012
- World chess title to be decided in te-breaker - May 28, 2012
Tags: anand, association officials, boris gelfand, challenger, chennai, chess, chess association, chief minister, crore, family members, fifth time, gesture, grand welcome, j jayalalithaa, moscow, rs 2, tie breaker, time world, world champion, world chess champion