World brands French footballer Henry a cheatNovember 20th, 2009 - 2:16 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov.20 (ANI): The world has turned on French football star Thierry Henry, branding him a cheat, even as Irish football chiefs have approached FIFA with a demand for a replay of the World Cup tie.
It maybe recalled that Henry’s blatant handball led to William Gallas’ decisive goal against the Irish two days ago.
FIFA, however, insists there will be no replay.
The Sun quoted Henry’s former Arsenal and France team-mate Emmanuel Petit, as saying: “The feeling among the French public is one of embarrassment.
“More and more often we see people cheating to reach their targets so Thierry’s handball will not send out a good message,” he added.
French legend David Ginola added: “I do not feel very proud to be French at the moment. Something should be done. The whole world saw it was handball. I am very embarrassed.”
Henry’s stomach-turning act meant France won the World Cup play-off 2-1 on aggregate to reach next summer’s finals.
Petit and Henry were team-mates when France lifted the World Cup in 1998. Another ‘98 winner, Bixente Lizarazu, slammed France coach Raymond Domenech on live radio.
Domenech refused to answer questions about the handball and invited Lizarazu to attend a qualification party hosted by the French FA.
But the former defender replied: “France have done nothing. I’m in no mood for a party.”
A FIFA spokesman dashed hopes of a replay, saying: “The rules of FIFA are absolutely clear and the referee’s decisions in the game are final.” (ANI)
- France putting past behind them (Group A team profile) - May 26, 2010
- FIFA may impose World Cup ban on French `Hand Ball' striker Henry - Nov 22, 2009
- France seek World Cup redemption after Henry handball - Jun 10, 2010
- Irish anger over WC play-off handball incident no longer an issue: Henry - Jul 25, 2010
- Irish Justice Minister calls for Ireland-France replay - Nov 20, 2009
- Parreira sees some good coming out of Henry handball - Dec 05, 2009
- FIFA says no to extra referees for 2010 World Cup - Dec 03, 2009
- Irish snub 'Henry vacuum cleaners' after French striker's cheating - Nov 23, 2009
- Thierry Henry considered quitting France over handball uproar - Nov 23, 2009
- Thierry Henry 'cleared' of role in World Cup revolt? - Jun 25, 2010
- French World Cup winning coach says Domenech must go - Nov 27, 2009
- French pride at stake if World Cup qualifier not replayed with Ireland: Wenger - Nov 21, 2009
- I would have hit striker Thierry Henry for 'handball goal': Cantona - Nov 21, 2009
- Scolari tells French they deserve to go out - Jun 22, 2010
- Domenech heads Kenya's list for foreign football coach - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: david ginola, decisive goal, embarrassment, emmanuel petit, football star, footballer, france coach, france team, france won the world cup, french football, french public, handball, irish football, live radio, raymond domenech, team mate, team mates, thierry henry, william gallas, world brands