World Badminton men’s, women’s final to be all Chinese affair (Lead)August 15th, 2009 - 10:33 pm ICT by IANS
By Avishek Roy
Hyderabad, Aug 15 (IANS) Led by ‘Super’ Lin Dan, a strong field of Chinese players stormed into the finals of the World Badminton Championships here Saturday, underlining the country’s dominance of the sport.
The men’s and women’s singles, as well as the women’s doubles finals, will be an all-Chinese affair.
Fifth seed Lin, who will now attempt to become the first player ever to claim a hat-trick of world titles, was given a tough fight by sixth seeded Indonesian Sony Dwi Koncoro in the men’s singles semi-final, but the Olympic Champion prevailed 21-14, 13-21, 21-15 in an hour.
In the title clash, Lin will meet second seeded Jin Chen, who outplayed veteran Indonesian Taufik Hidayat 21-16, 21-6. Jin had defeated Lin in the All England Championships last year.
In the women’s singles final, fifth seed Xie Xingfang, who won the title in 2005 and 2007, will clash with seventh seeded Lan Lu.
Xie defeated France’s Pi Hongyan 21-18, 21-8 while Lan staved off stiff resistance from second seed Lin Wang 21-18, 21-19.
The women’s doubles semi-finals was also an all Chinese affair. And in the final, Yawen Zhang and Tingting Zhao will meet second seeded Shu Cheng and Yunlei Zhao.
Yawen and Tingting defeated Jing Du and Yang Yu 24-22, 18-21, 21-8 while Shu and Yunlei beat Jin Ma and Xiaoli Wang 21-16 21-12.
The men’s doubles final will also see the Chinese pair of Yun Cai and Haifeng Fu taking on South Korea’s fourth seeded Jae Sung Jung and Yong Dae Lee.
Jae and Yong upset Kien Keat Koo and Boon Heong Tan of Malaysia 16-21, 21-14, 22-20.
Yun and Haifeng also defeated a Malaysian pair — Mohammed Zakry Abdul Latif and Mohammed Fairuzizuan — 18-21, 24-22, 21-15.
The mixed doubles will be the only final without a Chinese representation where Denma’k’s Thomas Laybourn and Kamilla Rytter Juhl will take on second seeded Nova Widianto and Liliyana Natsir of Indoenesia.
The seventh seeded Danish pair entered their maiden final with a crushing 18-21, 21-9, 21-18 victory over the top seeded South Korean Yong Dae Lee and Hyo Jung Kee.
It could have been an all-Denmark final in the mixed doubles, but the other semi-finalists Joachim Fischer Nielsen and Christinna Pedersen fell just short of upsetting Widianto and Natsir, going down 18-21, 21-14, 18-21 in an hour-long match.
The Indian challenge might have come to an end, but fans filled the stadium in large number.
Lin had played with a mission in the tournament so far, but was clearly in trouble against Koncoro, who had lost to the Chinese in the final of the last World Championhips in Malaysia.
The crowd could not have asked for more as Lin and Koncoro dished out a quality fare. It was certainly one of the best matches of the tournament and Lin showed why he is called ‘Super.’
“Koncoro played a matured game. He played patiently and made it difficult for me. He did not allow me to finish off the points quickly,” Lin said.
The 25-year-old said that China has asserted its supremacy in the game.
“It does not matter who wins tomorrow. We are from China and the country is assured of a gold. It only shows China’s dominance in the sport. I have started taking it easy after the Olympics and do not think about winning,” he said.
- Lin scripts history, China bag four gold medals in World Badminton (Lead) - Aug 16, 2009
- Shuttler Kashyap qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 28, 2012
- Asian badminton: Ajay Jayaram goes down fighting - Apr 18, 2012
- Cherish to vie for Mumbai badminton triple crown - Aug 17, 2012
- Saina enters Indian Open prequarters - Apr 25, 2012
- India Open: Kashyap goes down fighting in semis - Apr 28, 2012
- Chinese power on show at Asian badminton - Apr 17, 2010
- Jayaram stuns World No.7 at Japan Open - Sep 21, 2011
- Olympic badminton: China sweeps men's doubles titles - Aug 05, 2012
- World Badmintion: Danes stun South Koreans in mixed doubles semis - Aug 15, 2009
- Wang Shixian left out Chinese Olympic badminton squad - Jul 11, 2012
- Saina goes down fighting, India's challenge ends in World Badminton (Roundup) - Aug 14, 2009
- Olympic badminton: South Koreans take men's doubles bronze - Aug 05, 2012
- Sarang, Mutatkar enter Maharashtra badminton quarters - Jul 27, 2012
- Saina fights her way into quarterfinals of World Baminton (Lead) - Aug 14, 2009
Tags: abdul latif, badminton men, chinese players, england championships, fifth seed, haifeng, jin chen, k s thomas, lee jae, lin wang, nova widianto, olympic champion, pi hongyan, stiff resistance, taufik hidayat, tingting zhao, title clash, world badminton championships, xiaoli, yang yu