World Badminton: Jwala, Ashwini storm into semis, Saina exits (Lead)August 12th, 2011 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 12 (IANS) India’s Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa stormed into the semi-final of the World Badminton championships, upsetting Indonesian Vita Marissa and Nadya Melati 17-21, 21-10, 21-17 in women’s doubles here Saturday.
India’s best hope Saina Nehwal, however, bowed out of the women’s singles, losing to Xin Wang of China 15-21, 10-21 in the quarterfinal.
Saina, seeded sixth, went down to the third seed in 30 minutes. In the previous two editons also Saina made a quarter-final exit.
With Saina’s loss, India’s challenge in the singles competition came to an end.
Unseeded Jwala and Ashwini, the gold medallist at the Commonwealth Games, kept Indian interest alive.
Continuing their giant-killing act, Jwala and Ashwini beat the Indonesian pair in 47 minutes. They lost the first game, but fought their way back to clinch the match.
Jwala and Ashwini shocked second seeded Wen Hsing Cheng and Yu Chin Chien in the second round to register their career’s biggest upset win. In the third round, they went on to beat Hong Kong’s Lok Yan Poon and Ying Suet Tse, seeded 11th.
They will next meet China’s Qing Tian and Yunlei Zhao, seeded fifth, who made short work of Japan’s Mizuki Fujii and Reika Kakiiwa 21-16, 21-10.
- Olympic: Saina starts her campaign Sunday - Jul 28, 2012
- India's badminton coach Gopichand accuses Japan of 'wanting to lose' - Aug 01, 2012
- Gutta, Ponnappa in quarterfinals of China Open - Nov 24, 2011
- Jwala, Ashwini lose Olympic opener - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap shines on a mixed day for Indian badminton (Roundup) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Win not enough to take Jwala-Ashwini to quarters - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: BWF rejects India's appeal, Jwala-Ashwini out (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Saina drawn in easy group at London Olympics - Jul 23, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Saina best bet for a medal - Jul 27, 2012
- Saina top seed in India Super Series badminton - Apr 09, 2011
- Olympic badminton: China win women's doubles gold - Aug 05, 2012
- All England Championships: Saina sails into quarters - Mar 09, 2012
- Saina, Kashyap, Sourabh advance to Thailand Open quarters - Jun 09, 2011
- Olympic badminton: Saina in pre-quarters, Jwala, Ashwini win (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Kashyap surge ahead; Leander-Vishnu go down fighting (Overall Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: chien, commonwealth games, final exit, first game, fujii, gold medallist, gutta, marissa, melati, mizuki, nadya, poon, qing tian, quarterfinal, reika, saina, suet, upset win, world badminton championships, xin wang