World archery: Indian women make it to London Olympics, men loseJuly 6th, 2011 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 6 (IANS) The Indian recurve women’s team, comprising Laishram Bombayla Devi, Deepika Kumari and Chekrovolu Swuro, Wednesday earned three Olympic quota places by defeating France 216-213 in the team event round one of the World Archery Championship at Turin, Italy.
The Indian men’s team of Rahul Banerjee, Tarundeep Rai and Jayanta Talukdar, however, went down by a solitary point 215-216 difference to China.
In normal course, Indian men would have been out of contention for Olympic berths but as luck would have it, Olympic Games’ host Great Britain also qualified defeating Chinese Taipei.
Since Great Britain has already been assured of three quota places as the host, India is in the play-off for the three slots, the results of which will be known later.
World champions Korea, China and Ukraine assured themselves of six quota places (men three and women three).
Italy, France, the US and Mexico made it to London from the men’s section. Georgia, India, Denmark, Chinese Taipei and Russia qualified from the women’s side.
- Indian women's archery team qualifies for Olympics (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Indian archers will target Olympic berth at World meet - Jun 30, 2011
- India's men archers qualify for London Olympics - Jun 22, 2012
- Indian archery squad named for World Cups - Jul 13, 2011
- World Cup archery: Indian recurve team in final - May 04, 2012
- World Archery championship: Indian women fourth in qualifiers - Jul 05, 2011
- Rahul, Mangal in Indian archery team for Asian Grand Prix - Feb 09, 2012
- World Cup archery: Indian women in bronze medal play-off - Jun 10, 2011
- Olympics: Deepika's show only silver lining for Indian archery (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Asian Grand Prix archery: Rich medal haul for India - Feb 19, 2012
- Being world No.1 is added pressure for Olympics: Deepika - Jul 14, 2012
- Last chance for archers to qualify for Olympics - Jun 12, 2012
- Olympic archery: Indian men's team knocked out - Jul 28, 2012
- Talukdar earns India one Olympic place in archery - Jul 09, 2011
- Archery World Cup Stage II: Deepika Kumari lifts Indian team to 2nd place - Jun 08, 2011
Tags: banerjee, chinese taipei, contention, deepika, great britain, indian men, indian women, italy france, kumari, london olympics, olympic berths, olympic games, olympics, quota, rai, solitary point, talukdar, turin italy, world archery, world champions