Woolmer death inquest begins in JamaicaNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:24 am ICT by admin
Bernice Robinson, a Jamaican hotel maid, however, told the 11-member jury at the inquest in Kingston how she found Woolmer’s body in a dishevelled, blood-spattered room on the day after his team was knocked out of the 2007 World Cup by Ireland.
Robinson said that she noticed an overturned chair and blood on the pillow. Besides, there was a smell like a mixture of alcohol and vomit when she entered the room to clean it on the morning of March 18.
She then saw a man’s leg sticking out of a bathroom door, but she could not open it because 58-year-old Woolmer’s body was blocking it from the inside.
Robinson said that before entering the room with a master key, she had knocked on the door of the room at the Pegasus Hotel earlier in the morning.
Another maid was called in, and both of them together could not open the door. It was then that they called for more help.
Despite claims that a killer would have found it next to impossible to extricate himself from the tiny bathroom while leaving his victim slumped against the other side of the door, police refused to confirm how Woolmer was found and pushed ahead with a murder investigation.
The police announced four days after his death that he had been strangled. After months of increasingly bizarre speculation, including suggestions he had been about to expose a match-fixing racket, an embarrassed Jamaican police commissioner had to close the case after pathologists in Britain, South Africa and Canada concluded he died from natural causes.
Robinson is the first of about 50 witnesses expected to testify at the inquest, which is expected to last until November 9 and determine the official cause of death. (ANI)
- A 'foreign substance or toxin' was found in Woolmer's body: Expert - Nov 14, 2007
- Dr Death traces found in dead skier Jonathan Myles Robinson's blood - Mar 24, 2011
- Hotel 'Daddly Long Legs' takes Cape Town by storm with its bizarre interiors - May 06, 2010
- 'Apologise for suspecting Pakistani cricketers in Woolmer death' - Feb 21, 2009
- Indian-origin Norway resident found dead in Delhi - Apr 13, 2012
- German found dead in Varanasi hotel - Feb 22, 2012
- Melbourne's five-star hotels found to be "stomach-churning" due to filth - Dec 14, 2010
- Delhi woman strangled to death inside her room - May 25, 2012
- IMF chief charged with sexual assault, attempted rape (Third Lead) - May 15, 2011
- Singer Whitney Houston dies at 48 (Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
- Man found dead in his room - Feb 01, 2011
- Brit man drowns in bath as wife cheats on him with stepson in hotel - Jan 26, 2011
- Woolmer inquest opens in Jamaica - Nov 14, 2007
- Man who killed wife by stabbing her 25 times jailed - Dec 16, 2010
- We were lucky to escape the attack: Younis - Mar 03, 2009
Tags: bernice, britain south, contradicting, embarrassed, extricate, hotel maid, inquest, jamaican police, kingston hotel, master key, match, member jury, murder investigation, pathologists, pegasus hotel, police commissioner, saw a man, tiny bathroom, violent struggle