Women’s teams to feature in kabaddi World CupJuly 17th, 2011 - 6:53 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 17 (IANS) Women’s kabaddi teams from five countries will be seen in action during exhibition matches at the men’s World Cup, which will be held in October-November, Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal said here Sunday.
Badal said that the prize money has been increased from Rs.10 million to Rs.20 million for the winning team. The runners-up will take home Rs.10 million while the team finishing third will get Rs.5 million.
India, the US, Britain, Iran and Canada will field their women’s team, Badal said.
Reviewing the arrangements for the Cup at a meeting with senior sports department and other sporting association officials, Badal said that there was a need to encourage women’s kabaddi teams.
The winner in the women’s section will bag Rs.2.5 million and the runner-up Rs.1.5 million while all participating teams will get Rs.1 million.
Badal said it was the first time that any women’s kabaddi international tournament was offering such big prize money.
Pakistan, Iran, Canada, USA, Britain, Italy, Australia, Spain, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Norway, Taiwan, Argentina and the Irish Army have confirmed their participation in the men’s event.
All matches will be staged in 12 floodlit stadiums across Punjab, mostly in rural areas, and will be telecast live on regional television channels. The opening ceremony with be at the Bathinda stadium while the finals will be played at Ludhiana.
Badal said that dope tests would be conducted on all players.
- World Kabaddi cup begins in Punjab Nov 1 - Oct 27, 2011
- The 'desi' boys of Punjab's kabaddi world cup - Nov 08, 2011
- Twelve nations to vie for Rs.2 crore World Kabaddi Cup - Jun 19, 2011
- Punjab to host Kabaddi World Cup next month - Mar 17, 2010
- India win men, women world cup Kabaddi titles - Nov 21, 2011
- India, Canada teams to clash in Kabaddi finals - Nov 19, 2011
- After gala start, India take on Germany in Kabaddi World Cup - Nov 02, 2011
- India, Pakistan to meet in Kabaddi World Cup finals - Apr 11, 2010
- Punjab to host Kabaddi World Cup - Feb 22, 2010
- Dope testing compulsory at Kabaddi World Cup - Mar 19, 2010
- In times of F1, Punjab talked kabaddi - Nov 13, 2011
- 12 sports stadiums to be flood-lit in Punjab - Aug 07, 2010
- India beat Pakistan to win Kabaddi World Cup 2010 (Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- Kabaddi World Cup begins in Punjab - Apr 04, 2010
- Punjab to start International Kabaddi League on IPL lines - Apr 05, 2010
Tags: 10 million, 5 million, association officials, canada usa, deputy chief minister, dope tests, irish army, july 17, kabaddi, opening ceremony, prize money, punjab, regional television, rs 1, rural areas, sports department, stadiums, sukhbir singh badal, television channels, winning team