Women’s T20 cricket tournament kicks off in LahoreJanuary 23rd, 2012 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Jan 23 (IANS) The first edition of Benazir Bhutto Twenty 20 Women’s Cricket Tournament organised by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) kicked off Sunday in the country’s eastern city of Lahore.
Totally six national teams — Punjab, Sindh, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Balochistan, Federal Capital and Zarai Tarqiati Bank Limited (ZTBL) — are participating in the competition. Each team will play one match against the others to reach the final, which will be played Jan 24.
Pakistan’s federal minister for Information and Broadcasting, Firdous Ashiq Awan, inaugurated the tournament at Kinnaird College cricket ground in Lahore, Xinhua reported Monday.
Talking to the media after the inauguration ceremony, the minister said women’s cricket initiative would raise a soft image of Pakistan internationally and will help dispel a negative picture of the country regarding women rights.
Fauzia Gilani, First Lady of Pakistan, also watched one of the matches on the opening day.
All the matches will be televised live at the sports channel of the state-run Pakistan Television (PTV). Entry for spectators will be free.
Bushra Aitzaz, chief of the PCB women’s wing, told media that the cricket event would be held regularly.
“It will be an opportunity for our top players to show their talent and improve their techniques and skills by competing against the best in the country,” she said.
The winning team of the tournament will get $1,112 prize money while the runners-up will be given $555. Player of the tournament and player of the match will receive $277 and $110, respectively.
- Zardari appoints close friend as PCB chief,Butt shown the door - Oct 12, 2011
- Pakistan to encourage women's cricket - Jan 23, 2012
- Pakistan cricket team lauded for series win - Feb 07, 2012
- PHF patron Malik to work for Indo-Pak hockey series resumption - Apr 20, 2011
- Pakistan to have electronic media policy - Nov 22, 2011
- Zardari urged to review PCB chief Ashraf's appointment - Nov 17, 2011
- Lahore HC moved against Pak cricket team on match-fixing charges in WC semi-final - Mar 31, 2011
- Pak's World Cup cricketers get Rs one million each - Apr 12, 2011
- Two foreign channels for kids get Pakistan's nod - Aug 02, 2011
- Condemn NATO attacks, Pakistani minister tells world - Dec 05, 2011
- No licence to any Indian channel: Pakistani minister - Aug 02, 2011
- Dengue epidemic affects sports activities in Pakistan - Sep 20, 2011
- 'World Cup semi-finalist' Pak team richer by over a million dollars - Apr 04, 2011
- Dengue forces Twenty20 tournament out of Lahore to Karachi - Sep 21, 2011
- Now, a book on Pakistan's child prodigy - Jan 22, 2012
Tags: ashiq, balochistan, benazir bhutto, cricket event, cricket tournament, federal minister, inauguration ceremony, khyber, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, pakistan television, play one, prize money, soft image, sports channel, sunday in the country, winning team, xinhua, zarai, ztbl