Women’s panel seeks report on player pushed out of trainApril 15th, 2011 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 15 (IANS) The National Commission for Women (NCW) has asked the Uttar Pradesh administration to submit an action taken report on attack on volleyball player Arunima Sinha, who lost a leg when she was pushed out of a running train, a statement said Friday.
Yasmeen Abrar, acting chairperson of the NCW, said it earlier wrote to the railway minister and the sports minister to take care of Sinha’s medical expenses and her rehabilitation.
Sinha was Thursday offered a job by the Indian Railways, three days after the incident happened.
The sports ministry, which had offered her a paltry Rs.25,000 compensation, hiked this to Rs.2 lakh following a public outcry.
The Indian Railways also offered Sinha “all financial assistance” besides a suitable job.
Abrar expressed her satisfaction over the ministries offering Sinha complete rehabilitation, including an artificial limb and the compensation amount.
Arunima Sinha, 23-year-old national level player, lost her leg after she was pushed out of the running train in Uttar Pradesh’s Bareilly April 13 when she resisted a robbery attempt.
- Injured Arunima to be shifted to AIIMS - Apr 18, 2011
- Arunima shifted to AIIMS Trauma Centre - Apr 18, 2011
- Volleyball player who lost leg offered railway job, aid hiked (Second Lead) - Apr 14, 2011
- Sports Minister Maken promises to bear medical expenses of Arunima - Apr 18, 2011
- Injured Arunima to be shifted to AIIMS (Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- 'I will fight for my right': Arunima - Apr 15, 2011
- Arunima's condition stable: AIIMS Doctors - Apr 19, 2011
- Arunima incident: PMO seeks report from Railway Ministry - Apr 15, 2011
- Attacked sportswoman wants to set up sports academy - Apr 16, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh offers job to injured Arunima - Apr 18, 2011
- Arunima recovering, mother thanks AIIMS - Apr 21, 2011
- Injured Arunima's condition stable, say doctors - Apr 19, 2011
- Court tells railways to pay Rs.5 lakh relief to Arunima - Apr 20, 2011
- Injured Arunima's condition now stable, say doctors (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Sports Ministry announces compensation of Rs. 2,00,000 to injured Arunima - Apr 14, 2011
Tags: abrar, artificial limb, arunima, bareilly, chairperson, financial assistance, indian railways, medical expenses, ncw, New Delhi, public outcry, railway minister, robbery attempt, rs 2, sinha, sports ministry, suitable job, uttar pradesh, volleyball player, yasmeen