Women’s Hockey World Cup: Selectors in Patiala to pick squadAugust 12th, 2010 - 10:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 12 (IANS) The Indian women’s hockey team for the World Cup in Rosario, Argentina from Aug 29, will be selected in Patiala Friday.
There seems to be no doubt that the national team will represent the country and not Hockey India (HI), which is recognised by the International Hockey Federation (FIH) or the sports ministry-backed Indian Hockey Federation (IHF).
The two federations seem to have no quarrels with the team selection since the selection committee has all the former internationals as its members. Two of these are government nominees — Ajit Pal Singh and Zafar Iqbal.
The other three members are Sita Mehta, nee Gosain, Rupa Saini, and Balbir Singh Jr.
It is not clear who constituted the selection committee, whether HI or the Sports Authority of India. The HI’s original selection committee comprised seven members. The three who do not find a place in the present committee are B. P. Govinda, Muneer Sait and Madhu Yadav, who was replaced by Saini.
The sports ministry, which has de-recognised Hockey India (HI), has written to the International Hockey Federation (FIH) that the Indian Olympic Association or the sports ministry be allowed to select the team till an elected IHF is in place.
The IHF and Indian Women’s Hockey Federation officially began the process of merger, but did not name any selection panel for picking the national teams for the upcoming events, women’s World Cup and Oct 3-14 Commonwealth Games.
Asked as to who would select the national team for international assignments, IWHF secretary general Amrit Bose said: “The national team does not represent the IHF or HI, it represents India. HI in any case has declared itself a private body, it is a club.”
- IHF and IWHF form joint body, to hold election in October - Aug 12, 2010
- FIH rejects HI-IHF unification (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- IHF, IWHF call special general meeting for merger - Aug 11, 2010
- Sports Minister Maken will try to convince Negre - Sep 12, 2011
- FIH frowns at HI-IHF unification, pulls tournaments out of India - Jul 29, 2011
- FIH to continue recognising Hockey India - Nov 12, 2011
- FIH rejects ministry's contention, backs Hockey India - Aug 09, 2010
- Sports ministry to evaluate HI-IHF power sharing formula - Aug 04, 2011
- FIH asks sports ministry to recognise only Hockey India - Sep 29, 2011
- HI requests SAI not to allow WSH at National Stadium - Nov 29, 2011
- Gill turns down merger proposal with HI - Jun 24, 2011
- IWHF springs to life and questions HI's legitimacy - Jun 10, 2010
- World hockey looking at India as major hub for the sport - Feb 27, 2012
- No question of recognising IHF again, says FIH official - Aug 07, 2010
- IHF appoints national selection panel - Jul 13, 2010
Tags: ajit, amrit, balbir singh, commonwealth games, fih, hockey world cup, indian hockey federation, indian olympic association, international assignments, international hockey federation, madhu, muneer, patiala, private body, rosario argentina, saini, selection panel, sports authority, sports ministry, zafar iqbal