Women’s cricket: Bangladesh shock South Africa by two wicketsSeptember 7th, 2012 - 5:04 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Sep 7 (IANS) The South African women’s cricket team suffered a two-wicket defeat at the hands of hosts Bangladesh in the first One-day International (ODI) of the three-match series here.
Batting first, South African women set a target of 75 runs in 34.4 overs Thursday. Skipper M. du Preez was the highest scorer from the South African side with 24 runs. Bangladesh chased down the target in 37.3 overs with two wickets in hand. Lata Mondal was the top scorer with 31 runs from Bangladesh, Xinhua reports.
Bangladesh’s Khadija Tul Kubra and Rumana Ahmed took three wickets each. S. Loubser took three wickets while S. Ismail and M. Kapp grabbed two each for the South African team.
Both teams are set to meet again for the second match Friday at the same venue. The third and final ODI is scheduled for Sunday.
South Africa arrived in Dhaka Sep 4 to play three ODIS and as many T20 Internationals against their Bangladesh counterparts as part of their preparation for the ICC Women’s World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka later this month.
South Africa are placed in Group B with Sri Lanka, New Zealand and the West Indies in the World T20 to be held in Colombo, Sri Lanka from Sept 26-Oct 7. India are in Group A with Australia, England and Pakistan.
- Proteas women win series 2-1 over Bangladesh - Sep 09, 2012
- Bangladesh women beat South Africa in T20 opener - Sep 11, 2012
- Proteas women tour Bangladesh ahead of World T20 - Sep 04, 2012
- Zaheer snaps 250 wickets, Pathan hits maiden 50 against Proteas (Match highlights) - Jan 19, 2011
- New Zealand can challenge in-form South Africa (Preview, Lead) - Mar 24, 2011
- West Indies qualify for ICC Women's World cup - Nov 21, 2011
- West Indies, Australia reach semis of women's World T20 - May 08, 2010
- South Africa ahead on form, Kiwis count on Vettori (Preview) - Mar 24, 2011
- Shakib confident of pulling an upset win over South Africa - Mar 18, 2011
- Sachin, Yuvraj, Zaheer selected in Team of the Tournament - Apr 03, 2011
Tags: colombo sri lanka, cricket team, internationals, ismail, kapp, khadija, kubra, oct 7, odi, odis, play three, rumana, south african women, target, top scorer, west indies, wicket, wickets, world twenty20, xinhua