Women win Mexico’s first-ever medals in Olympic archeryAugust 3rd, 2012 - 11:13 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 3 (IANS/EFE) Mexico ended its medal drought in Olympic archery here Thursday with a double triumph for Aida Roman and Mariana Avitia, who came away with the silver and bronze respectively.
South Korea’s Ki Bo-bae beat Roman in the final to take the gold.
Roman, 24, reached the finals after victories over Miki Kanie of Japan, Italy’s Pia Lionetti and teammate Avitia.
“The feeling is incredible,” Roman said. “I have been training my whole life and I have made it. This medal is for me, for my family and for everyone who has supported me. And, of course, for Mexico.”
Mariana Avitia, an 18-year-old, upset South Korean archer Lee Sung-jin in the quarterfinals and went on to defeat Khatuna Lorig of the US in the bronze-medal match.
“I am very, very happy, this is a very moving moment in the life of an athlete,” Avitia said after winning the bronze.
“To have the support of my family and my coach has been very important for me. Thank you, Mexico. I love you,” she said.
- Mexico has best Olympics in over 40 years - Aug 13, 2012
- South Korea win 7th straight Olympic archery gold - Jul 30, 2012
- Deepika second Indian woman archer to reach World Cup final - Sep 02, 2010
- Japan pips Russia to women's archery bronze - Jul 30, 2012
- Mangal Singh goes down in World Archery quarterfinals - Sep 06, 2009
- Mexico has special place in my heart: Banderas - Feb 03, 2012
- Peru honours singer Tania Libertad for 50-year career - May 07, 2012
- Brazilian assured of bronze in women's boxing - Aug 07, 2012
- Singer Ana Barbara pregnant - Aug 18, 2011
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan wins bronze, Saina advances (Intro Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Huge welcome in Colombia for Olympic medallists - Aug 16, 2012
- Olympics: Afghan taekwondoka gives country first medal in London - Aug 10, 2012
- Giving up crown isn't easy: Miss Universe - Sep 11, 2011
- Mexican rock band Molotov takes up social issues - May 11, 2012
- US urges Green Card holders to become citizens - May 27, 2011
Tags: aida, archer, bae, bronze medal, double triumph, efe, japan italy, kanie, lee sung jin, lionetti, lorig, medal drought, medals, olympic archery, pia, quarterfinals, south korea, south korean, teammate, whole life