Women playing a vital role Lyari gang wars, drug peddiling activitiesAugust 4th, 2008 - 10:51 am ICT by ANI
Karachi, Aug.4 (ANI): Gang wars and drug peddling activities are as healthy as ever in Karachis infamous Lyari area. The only change that appears visible is that now women are playing a vital role.
According to the Daily Times, they are being roped in for the above activities, and police say the day is not far off when they will be seen bearing arms and getting involved in clashes.
Last month, the Sindh Rangers and Police staged a joint operation that resulted in peace being restored to Lyari and other areas which were previously off-limits for uninvolved citizens.
Drug peddling, however, is tradition and is a major source of income for the people of Lyari and so it has proven impossible to eliminate completely.
Of course, most of the women involved just want to earn money. They are doing this risky job as they belong to poor families and usually have no other way to earn a living, the Daily Times quoted the Superintendent of Police of Lyari Town, Raja Omer Khattab, as saying.
Womens involvement is not new in illegal activities in Lyari. There have been women involved previously, and even killed, in gang war, such as Khadija alias Kani, a prominent gangster and drug peddler. Sakina Hajiani, sister of Lyaris top don, Kala Naag, was killed along with her son and five others by her rival group, Majeed Speed, on the evening of her daughters wedding ceremony.
Rabia alias Rabuk and her sister, Amna alias Amuk, played a vital role for the Rehman Dakait group. Amna has been killed.
Social worker Anwar Bhaijaans sisters, Husna and Perveen, also used to work as drug peddlers. Anwar Bhaijaan and Husnas son and son-in-law were all allegedly killed by Rehman Dakaits group members.
Lyari police have no female officers on their force, making it very difficult to chase these women since they work secretly. (ANI)
- Goa police do not have list of drug traffickers - Mar 17, 2011
- Politicians, journalists off CBI radar in Goa drug probe - Jun 23, 2011
- Goan, once endorsed by BJP leaders, accused of contract killing - Oct 05, 2010
- Kolkata RJ accuses industrialist's son of raping her - Jul 16, 2012
- Pakistani who killed 40 arrested - Aug 08, 2012
- Pakistani with fake Afghan passport arrested - Aug 12, 2011
- Indonesian jailed for preaching jehad - Mar 29, 2012
- Goa officer sold drugs from police warehouse, CBI told - Feb 04, 2011
- Mother of three held for drug peddling - Jun 12, 2012
- 61-year-old peddler arrested with drugs worth Rs.3 crore - Jul 13, 2012
- Goa police reviewing footage of 'drug peddling' cop - Jan 05, 2011
- Six drug peddlers arrested - Mar 29, 2011
- Goa drug nexus: Arunachal police officer may be summoned - Jan 20, 2011
- Mother gets son killed to keep affair under wraps - Sep 01, 2011
- Three held with marijuana worth over Rs.3 crore - Sep 28, 2010
Tags: alias, clashes, drug peddler, drug peddlers, gang war, gang wars, gangster, group members, illegal activities, kala, khattab, naag, poor families, rabia, rehman dakait, risky job, rival group, social worker, superintendent, wedding ceremony