Women outnumber men in Mexico’s Olympic teamJuly 10th, 2008 - 12:33 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, July 10 (Xinhua) Fifty-one percent of the athletes that represents Mexico during the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games will be women, said the chief of Mexican delegation Carlos Padilla Becerra. Padilla told Xinhua that the out of 85 sportspersons, who have been selected till now to represent Mexico in the Olympics, 43 are women and 42 men. And the number of women will go up because still there are qualifying chances of women’s volleyball and triathlon team.
Mexican cyclist Belem Guerrero, who won a silver medal in Athens 2004, has ignored the wild card given to her, which could have increased the number of Mexican women competing in Beijing.
Mexican delegation will compete in 21 sports in a total of 63 events. The youngest woman to represent Mexico will be Mariana Avitia who is 14 years old and will compete in archery.
Avitia is the youngest Mexican contender in the history of Mexico’s participation in Olympic Games.
The flag bearer will be diver Paola Espinoza who’s one of the greatest hopes from Mexico to win a medal.
- Latam nations aim for more medals at London Olympics - Jul 28, 2012
- Women win Mexico's first-ever medals in Olympic archery - Aug 03, 2012
- Cuba expecting better show at London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Eight Iraqi athletes to go to London - Jul 15, 2012
- Beijing gold haul difficult in London: Chinese official - Apr 18, 2012
- China can't reach Beijing gold haul in London, says official - Apr 20, 2012
- China grabs third diving gold at London Olympics - Jul 31, 2012
- Russia to send 436 athletes to London 2012 - Jul 10, 2012
- Asian Games close with China dominant as never before (Lead) - Nov 27, 2010
- F1 legend Senna inspiration for Brazilian triathlete - May 29, 2012
- Brazil eyes 20 medals at London Games - Jul 25, 2012
- Mexican boxer Valdez feeling no Olympics pressure - Jul 24, 2012
- Italy beat US to take first Olympic archery gold - Jul 29, 2012
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: 2008 olympic games, archery, athens 2004, becerra, beijing 2008 olympic, beijing 2008 olympic games, carlos padilla, contender, delegation, flag bearer, history of mexico, mexican women, mexico city, olympic games, olympic team, olympics, silver medal, volleyball, wild card, xinhua