Winning start for Sania in French Open doubles, Bopanna bows outMay 27th, 2009 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, May 27 (IANS) India’s Sania Mirza and Chia-Jung Chuang of Chinese Taipei (Taiwan) sailed into the doubles second round of French Open with a 7-5, 6-1 victory over Ipek Senoglu of Turkey and Yanina Wickmayer of Belarus at Roland Garros here Wednesday.
India’s Rohan Bopanna and Jonathan Elrich of Israel, however, lost a tough first-round encounter to Guillermo Garcia-Lopez of Spain and Sergio Roitman of Argentina
4-6, 6-7 (10).
Sania and Chuang, seeded 14th, faced tough resistance in the first set that lasted 50 minutes. They converted all three break points that came their way while Ipek and Yanina wasted the same number of chances of breaking back.
Sania and Chuang raised their game in the second set, breaking their opponents twice and not conceding any break points, as they wrapped it up in just 24 minutes.
They will next face the winner of the match between Ukraine’s Viktoriya Kutuzova and Aravane Rezai of France and Polish pair of Agnieszka Radwanska and Urszula Radwanska.
Sania has bowed out of the singles competition, going down to Kazakhstan’s Galina Voskoboeva in the first round Tuesday.
- Sania makes a shocking first round exit from French Open - May 26, 2009
- Paes, Bhupathi to meet local pairs in French Open - May 25, 2009
- US Open: Radwanska, Kerber, Venus ease into second round (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- French Open: Paes, Bhupathi in mixed doubles second round - May 26, 2011
- Australian Open: Top seed Serena Williams to face Radwanska - Jan 15, 2010
- Sania-Rushmi crash out of Olympic tennis - Jul 29, 2012
- US Open results Thursday - Sep 03, 2010
- We'll win a Grand Slam doubles title some day: Vesnina - Jun 04, 2011
- Sania to open her French Open campaign against Voskoboeva - May 22, 2009
- Sania-Chuang crash out of Madrid Masters - May 16, 2009
- Sania-Chuang shock second seeds, enter Madrid quarters - May 14, 2009
- Tough draw for Indians in men's doubles tennis - Jul 26, 2012
- French Open: Sania-Bhupathi in final, Paes-Vesnina knocked out (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Sania-Bhupathi sail into French Open final (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Wimbledon: Paes-Bhupathi, Somdev and Sania advance in doubles - Jun 25, 2011
Tags: agnieszka radwanska, aravane rezai, bows, break points, chia jung chuang, chinese taipei, french open, french open doubles, galina voskoboeva, guillermo garcia lopez, jonathan elrich, match, rohan bopanna, roland garros, sania mirza, sergio roitman, taipei taiwan, urszula radwanska, viktoriya kutuzova, yanina wickmayer