Winning in India bigger than Ashes, says StraussMay 24th, 2011 - 8:49 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 24 (IANS) Captain Andrew Strauss rates victory in India a bigger achievement than winning the Ashes and a step towards becoming the world’s best Test side.
Strauss, who has already led England to wins in both home and away series against arch-rivals Australia, feels it is time to look beyond Ashes and beat teams like India and South Africa both away and at home.
“I have never beaten India in a Test series and if we want to be the best side in the world, we have got to start by doing that. I would say to win in India would be bigger than winning the Ashes in Australia because the conditions are even more foreign,” Strauss was quoted as saying by the Daily Mail Tuesday.
“Winning out there (in Australia) seemed a very difficult thing to do because we had all grown up with England being demolished there, but there are plenty of other challenges. We can’t just dwell on that one. It’s over.”
“They (Australia) are back in the pack now, like everyone else, losing some, scrapping to win others, and now different sides are trying to create their own aura. Although we will always value the Ashes, it is important to look beyond, at India and South Africa, to look to defeat these guys consistently, too, home and away,” he said.
Strauss’ men will have the opportunity to take a shot at India when they face each other in a four-match Test series starting July 21 at Lord’s.
India are at top of the Test rankings ahead of South Africa and England.
- India have to prove they are world's top Test team: Botham - May 26, 2011
- 50-50 chance for Australia in Ashes: Steve Waugh - Jul 28, 2010
- England will get a chance to claim No.1 Test spot - Jul 14, 2011
- Australia goes ahead of India in Test rankings - Apr 29, 2012
- England maintain lead in Test rankings, India slip to 5th - Jul 14, 2012
- Let us accept we were very ordinary: Ganguly - Aug 13, 2011
- Vaughan says England will have no excuse not to win the Ashes - Oct 29, 2010
- England can replace ageing India as top Test side: Vaughan - Dec 31, 2010
- Strauss, Flower receive OBEs - Oct 05, 2011
- Strauss urges mates to aim for 'The Holy Grail' of English cricket - Dec 30, 2010
- India-Australia series the most watched Down Under (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- India-Australia series the most watched Down Under - Jan 07, 2012
- Tons by Dilshan, Strauss set tone for England-Lanka series - May 16, 2011
- Groom more youngsters like Kohli, say Indian fans - Mar 25, 2012
- England well placed to be World No.1 side: Strauss - Jul 27, 2011