Winning close matches will make Knight Riders better: GambhirApril 29th, 2011 - 2:04 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 29 (IANS) Kolkata Knight Riders captain Gautam Gambhir said Thursday that winning close matches will give his boys a lot of confidence and make them better in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
The Knight Riders defended a below par total of 148 and defeated Daredevils by 17 runs at the Ferozeshah Kotla and jumped to the second spot in the league with eight points from seven matches.
Gambhir lauded the team for turning out an all-round performance and admitted that he expected his team to get 160.
“The guys showed a lot of desperation, we all wanted to win desperately. Everyone contributed in his own way, and if you manage to defend a score of 148 it gives the team a lot of confidence,” said Gambhir.
“It was an all-round performance by the team. We played really well in all departments and if we continue winning close matches like this, then I think it will make us better. I am satisfied with today’s performance and we have to keep playing like this throughout the league. My heart and soul is with KKR, I am not a Delhi boy anymore,” said Gambhir, who had turned out for Daredevils in the first three IPL editions.
He had words of praise for Man of the Match Manoj Tiwary, who scored an unbeaten 61.
“He set the game for us. I think he has been in great touch and he has been striking the bowl really well. I thought the way he was playing we would have got to 160 ideally,” Gambhir said.
He also praised his bowlers, saying “our bowlers showed what they are made of”.
The left-handed batsmen, however, was not happy with his own form.
“It was an ideal track to bat on and I am personally disappointed at not getting a good score on this track,” he said.
- IPL final: Chennai Super Kings primed for hat-trick (Preview) - May 26, 2012
- Can bat at No.3 if Knight Riders need: Gambhir - Apr 20, 2012
- Daredevils pace attack has blossomed under Simmons: Morkel - May 05, 2012
- Knight Riders still have a long way to go: Gambhir - May 08, 2012
- Sangakkara tips Knight Riders to win IPL - May 10, 2012
- Yusuf Pathan becomes first to win IPL with two teams - May 28, 2012
- Whatmore predicts an interesting clash on cards - Apr 27, 2011
- RCB hopes to build winning momentum (Preview) - Apr 09, 2012
- Loss to RCB put us under pressure: Sehwag - Apr 27, 2011
- We were hungry for a win: Gautam Gambhir - Apr 12, 2011
- Akram lauds decision to include Pathan in Indian team - Jul 21, 2012
- It's about team not individual, says Gambhir - May 28, 2012
- Gambhir hopes Kolkata will root for KKR in Ganguly game - Apr 29, 2012
- Things now tough for Daredevils: Sehwag - Apr 29, 2011
- Knight Riders beat Daredevils, qualify for main IPL final(lead) - May 23, 2012
Tags: april 29, bowlers, close matches, confidence, daredevils, desperation, game, gautam gambhir, heart and soul, ipl, kkr, knight riders, kolkata, kotla, match, New Delhi, premier league, score, tiwary, words of praise