Windies switching gears for Twenty20 series against AustraliaMarch 27th, 2012 - 3:11 pm ICT by IANS
Gros Islet (St. Lucia), March 27 (IANS/CMC) For all their heroics in masterminding a tied series with Australia in the just concluded one-day series, West Indies say they will be refocussing for the two-match Twenty20 starting here Tuesday.
Captain Darren Sammy said Monday it was crucial his side make the transition to the shortest form of the game, though they had played outstandingly in the five-match ODI series to secure a share of the spoils.
“We just completed one of the best ODI series seen in the Caribbean for a while. The matches were action-packed and gripping. Now we have to refocus and switch gears slightly. It is important we start well,” said Sammy.
“These matches will give us a gauge as to where we are. The belief is there. It was clear during the last two weeks. We are getting stronger. We have good batting with guys in the middle and lower order who can clear the boundaries.
“We also have a good bowling attack, and as a team, we have bought into what is required.”
Both teams will be brimming with confidence after equally outstanding performances in the five-match one-day series.
Over the weekend, regional selectors called up ace fast bowler Fidel Edwards to the Windies side in a 14-man squad which blends youth and experience.
International T20 stars Kieron Pollard and Dwayne Bravo will also suit up for the Windies for the first time in nearly two years, with Bravo serving as captain Darren Sammy’s deputy.
Audacious opener Johnson Charles, who played two T20Is against England last September, has kept his place in the side as has fellow St Lucian and left-arm spinner Garey Mathurin.
Sammy said the series would also signal the start of their preparation for the World Twenty20 Championship in September.
“It is vital we get the right mix of players, the guys we are looking at to represent the West Indies,” Sammy explained.
“The ICC World T20 Championship will be a major international event and we want to feature prominently.”
For their part, the Aussies will also switch gears, with George Bailey taking over at the helm of the T20 squad for the series.
He will lead a new-look side that includes impressive pacer James Pattinson, who will get his first taste of Caribbean cricket after recovering from injury.
Bailey said Australia remained wary of the Windies power-hitters and would be looking at ways of effectively countering them.
“They’ve got some enormous strikers of the ball, pure hitters,” he pointed out. “We’ve talked about a few ways to try and defuse that, a few different things to focus on but I think one of the inevitabilities of Twenty20 is you’re going to bowl balls that are going to get hit. Most importantly it’s about how you can respond to that.”
West Indies: Darren Sammy (captain), Dwayne Bravo (vice-captain), Carlton Baugh, Nkrumah Bonner, Darren Bravo, Johnson Charles, Fidel Edwards, Garey Mathurin, Sunil Narine, Kieron Pollard, Andre Russell, Marlon Samuels, Krishmar Santokie, Dwayne Smith.
Australia: George Bailey (captain), Shane Watson, Daniel Christian, Xavier Doherty, Peter Forrest, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Brett Lee, Nathan Lyon, Clint McKay, James Pattinson, Matthew Wade, David Warner.
- Out-of-form Bravo released, Hyatt called up - Mar 29, 2012
- West Indies name 30-man provisional squad for World T20 - Jul 19, 2012
- Windies begin final preparations for World T20 - Sep 01, 2012
- West Indies bring back Darren Bravo for T20 World Cup - Aug 23, 2012
- Depleted Windies aim to punch up England in first T20I - Sep 23, 2011
- Badree gets nod ahead of Benn in Windies squad - Jun 25, 2012
- Temperamental Benn among 30 probables for World T20 - Jul 19, 2012
- Sammy says Windies must back up 'favourites' tag - Sep 02, 2012
- Barath returns to Windies squad for final ODIs - Mar 22, 2012
- West Indies retain squad for third ODI - Jul 09, 2012
- West Indies eye series win against Black Caps - Jul 05, 2012
- World T20: Gibson upbeat on Windies chances - Sep 11, 2012
- Best, Russell called up for Jamaica ODIs - Jul 02, 2012
- Deonarine named in Windies squad for first Test - Apr 05, 2012
- Struggling Windies seek success against Black Caps (Preview) - Jun 30, 2012
Tags: cmc, dwayne bravo, fellow st, fidel edwards, gears, gros islet st lucia, heroics, last september, left arm, lucia march, man squad, mathurin, odi series, pollard, sammy, selectors, spoils, st lucian, switching gears, west indies