Windies beat Zimbabwe by six wickets to reach quartersAugust 17th, 2012 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
Townsville (Australia), Aug 17 (IANS/CMC) The West Indies under 19 cricket team recovered quickly from an early slump against Zimbabwe to register their third straight win in the ICC Youth World Cup in Australia.
Skipper Kraigg Brathwaite scored a composed and responsible half century to lead a recovery and steer the young Caribbean side to a comfortable six wicket victory at Endeavour Park here Thursday, reports CMC.
With the victory, the West Indies finished on top of Group C and will now face New Zealand in the second quarter-final Monday.
Chasing 149 to win, Braithwaite batted to the end to be unbeaten on 70 as West Indies finished on 150 for the loss of four wickets in the 36th of the 50 overs allotted.
Earlier, the West Indies made a bright start as their bowlers restricted the Zimbabwe batsmen.
The leading wicket takers were Jerome Jones, Justin Greaves, and Kyle Mayers who all snared two scalps each.
However, Hosein finished with impressive figures of two wickets for 16 runs and three maiden from his 10 overs.
Hosein also captured the prized wicket of Malcolm Lake who hit a terrific 118 against India in his last match.
Lake’s innings against the West Indies ended on 31 runs after 45-balls when he offered Hosein a simple caught and bowled chance.
- ICC U-19 World Cup: Windies clash with Kiwis for semi-final spot - Aug 19, 2012
- Coach backs young Windies to excel in World Cup - Jul 13, 2012
- Windies name U-19 squad for India quadrangular - Sep 09, 2011
- U-19 World Cup: India lose to West Indies by 4 wickets - Aug 12, 2012
- U-19: Australia, Pakistan, Windies win - Aug 13, 2012
- India tottering at 57/4 chasing 220-run target - Jun 12, 2012
- West Indies A 127/2 at lunch on second day - Jun 18, 2012
- India A lose third 'Test' by 10 wickets, series 1-2 - Jun 20, 2012
- 16 teams named for next month's U-19 cricket World Cup - Jul 12, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: India pip Pakistan to enter semis (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Bishoo dropped, in-form batsman Fudadin gets the nod - Apr 20, 2012
- West Indies discards playing for recall - Jun 02, 2012
- Bowlers help India A dominate West Indies A - Jun 10, 2012
- Windies collapse leaves Test against Australia wide open - Apr 11, 2012
- West Indies call up Shillingford for Trinidad Test - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,