Windfall for India’s hockey playersFebruary 27th, 2012 - 12:40 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 26 (IANS) There was finally a windfall for the Indian hockey players as the national team Sunday night booked its berth for the 2012 London Olympic after having missed the 2008 Beijing Games.
Hockey India (HI) and sponsors Lalit Hotels separately announced a cash award of Rs.1 lakh each for the 18-member squad and Rs.50,000 each for the support staff.
The 18 players stand to make Rs.2 lakhs while the support staff will get Rs.1 lakh each.
The Indian team defeated France 8-1 in the final of the qualifiers at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium.
- Haryana pours cash on hockey hero Sandeep Singh - Feb 27, 2012
- Madhya Pradesh to set up museum after Dhyan Chand - Jan 24, 2012
- Goodies for hockey players, talks on for contracts - Mar 29, 2012
- Sahara India announce cash award for hockey team - Feb 28, 2012
- Sahara India to award Rs.1.29 crore for hockey team (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Indian hockey team benefits from video referrals - Feb 27, 2012
- Hockey coach Nobbs gets a salary hike - Feb 27, 2012
- WSH and IHF to give cash incentives for hockey team's Olympic success - Nov 21, 2011
- Maken doles out Rs.1.5 lakh to each player from government scheme - Sep 14, 2011
- Cash awards flow in for miffed hockey players - Sep 14, 2011
- No room for error in defence, says Dilip Tirkey - Feb 20, 2012
- 1936 Olympics: Dhyan Chand's last hurrah (Sports Special) - Jul 08, 2012
- Olympians with Haryana connection earn millions - Aug 12, 2012
- Haryana announces Rs 30 lakh reward for hockey team - Sep 27, 2011
- Six more Indian hockey players pull out of WSH - Dec 01, 2011