Wimbledon: Sania-Bhupathi lose, Paes-Stepanek surge ahead (Lead)June 30th, 2012 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 30 (IANS) Indias’s Sania Mirza and Mahesh Bhupathi made an early exit from the mixed doubles event at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships here Saturday while their compatriot Leander Paes marched into the men’s doubles third round with Czech partner Radek Stepanek.
All the drama surrounding the composition of the Indian tennis team for the London Olympics seemed to have weighed down Bhupathi and Sania as they were dumped by Paul Hanley and Alla Kurdryavtseva in the second round.
The fifth seeded Indian pair hardly put up a fight against the unseeded Australian-Russian combine losing 3-6, 1-6 in 50 minutes.
Bhupathi and Sania made four unforced errors and failed to get even a single break point opportunity.
In the first set, the Indian pair hit two double faults and even though they had more winners, a single break point for Hanley and Kurdryavtseva team was enough to wrap up the set. Sania-Bhupathi failed to recover from there on.
Later in the day, Paes, a day after confirming to compete in the Olympics, got together with Stepanek to dispatch Israel’s Andy Ram and Jonathan Elrich 6-2, 6-4, 7-6 in another second round match.
The fourth seeds next take on either Martin Emmrich and Michael Kohlmann from Germany or the Croatian-Brazilian combine of Ivan Dodig and Marcelo Melo.
Paes-Stepanek put 74 percent of their first serves and converted four of their 12 break points. Their opponents secured the lone break point opportunity they got and had the first serve percentage of 59.
Rohan Bopanna and China’s Zheng Jie play their second round mixed doubles match later in the day.
- Bhupathi-Sania knocked out of Wimbledon - Jun 30, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna in Cincinnati tennis quarters - Aug 17, 2012
- Point to prove for Indian stars at Wimbledon - Jun 24, 2012
- Sania-Bhupathi sail into French Open final (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek, Bhupathi-Bopanna knocked out of Wimbledon - Jul 04, 2012
- Paes in mixed quarters, beaten in men's doubles (Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
- French Open: Sania-Bhupathi in final, Paes-Vesnina knocked out (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Sania and Paes move up, Bhupathi-Bopanna lose (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- US Open: Paes-Stepanek win, Bhupathi-Bopanna knocked out - Aug 30, 2012
- Paes-Peya knocked out of French Open - Jun 02, 2012
- Australian Open: Bhupathi-Bopanna, Sania-Vesnina enter doubles pre-quarters - Jan 21, 2012
- Australian Open: Sania in quarters of doubles and mixed event - Jan 23, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna shocked in French Open first round - May 31, 2012
- U.S. Open: Paes-Stepanek in third round - Sep 01, 2012
- Rogers Cup: Sania, Paes, Bhupathi and Bopanna move up - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: andy ram, break point, break points, dodig, double faults, early exit, indian pair, indian tennis, jonathan elrich, leander paes, london olympics, mahesh bhupathi, michael kohlmann, paul hanley, radek stepanek, rohan bopanna, sania mirza, tennis team, unforced errors, wimbledon tennis championships