Wimbledon practice more important to Nadal than meeting the QueenJune 25th, 2010 - 4:15 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 25(ANI): Spanish tennis star Rafael Nadal has admitted that he declined an invitation to meet the Queen because he wanted to focus on his second round Wimbledon match against Holland’s Robin Haase.
Nadal was given the chance to meet the Queen when she visited the All England club for the first time since 1977 on Thursday.
Some of the sport’s biggest stars, including Roger Federer, Serena Williams and Andy Murray, spent time with the Queen during her visit, but Nadal was concerned that he might upset his pre-match routine. “It was disappointing for me, but the Wimbledon club knows I have my routines before the match. I knew it was going to be a very difficult match. I had to practice around then, so it was impossible for me [to meet the Queen],” The Daily Telegraph quoted Nadal, as saying.
“I have my routines. Before the match, it is very difficult when you don’t know when you’re going to play. I had to practice at that time, so it was impossible for me to meet her at that moment,” he added.
Nadal further said that he had hoped that the Queen would stay to watch his match.
“Seriously, I thought the Queen was going to be at my match and I would love to have the chance to meet her after the match, but it wasn’t possible because I think the Queen left before,” Nadal said.
“For me it was disappointing. I was excited to meet her, but it was a very important match for me too,” he added.
The five-time French Open champion was also adamant that he meant no disrespect to the Queen.
“I have a lot of respect for the Queen. I have a lot of respect for this tournament. It was always my dream to play here. It is a match-day for me so I have my things to do and I try to do what I think is best to win the match,” he said. (ANI)
- Oz Open will be my 'last chance in life' to bag Grand Slam equivalent: Nadal - Jan 13, 2011
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- Defeat no tragedy, it's just a match: Nadal - Jun 29, 2012
- Wimbledon: Cautious Nadal on guard as right knee worrisome - Jun 27, 2010
- Murray's fairytale Wimbledon victory fit for a Queen - Jun 24, 2010
- Nadal wins his seventh Barcelona Open title - Apr 30, 2012
- Nadal makes winning return at Wimbledon - Jun 22, 2010
- Nadal calls the Australian Open final as his toughest match - Jan 30, 2012
- Federer demolishes Nadal to go into ATP Finals last four - Nov 23, 2011
- Got the balance a little bit wrong against Nadal: Murray - Jul 02, 2011
- My game has matured: Berdych - Jan 03, 2011
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win maiden Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Injured Nadal aims for quick recovery to 'play best tennis again' - Jan 27, 2011
- Portugal can be a surprise, says Cristano Ronaldo - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal beats Murray, to meet Djokovic in Wimbledon final (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
Tags: all england, andy murray, biggest stars, daily telegraph, disrespect, england club, french open, french open champion, holland, invitation, london, match day, queen, rafael nadal, robin haase, roger federer, serena williams, tennis star, wimbledon